Word automation / Office interop / COM DLL

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by leodippolito@gmail.com, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Sirs,

    I have an ASP.NET application with hundreds of users accessing it. One
    of its features is to merge a set of Word documents that are stored in
    a server (basically is copy contents from doc1 and append to doc2).

    I saw there is a Microsoft Word COM DLL to work with Office documents
    from inside C#. However, recently I read this article:

    INFO: Considerations for Server-Side Automation of Office
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257757

    So I am confused if I can use this COM DLL in my application. If it's
    too risky, what alternatives do I have?

    I appreciate any information!

    Leo D'Ippolito

    , Oct 26, 2005

  2. It's just not very stable and since even microsoft is not recommending
    it....I guess you get the point.
    I use the Aspose Word component, it's about the same price as a license for
    word and works pretty well.
    Specially their support is great.
    Other than that, could you just get word xml or html files and merge them?

    --
    Remy Blaettler
    Helping you collaborate better!

    Remy Blaettler, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Paul Clement Guest

    On 26 Oct 2005 15:00:26 -0700, wrote:

    ¤
    ¤ Sirs,
    ¤
    ¤ I have an ASP.NET application with hundreds of users accessing it. One
    ¤ of its features is to merge a set of Word documents that are stored in
    ¤ a server (basically is copy contents from doc1 and append to doc2).
    ¤
    ¤ I saw there is a Microsoft Word COM DLL to work with Office documents
    ¤ from inside C#. However, recently I read this article:
    ¤
    ¤ INFO: Considerations for Server-Side Automation of Office
    ¤ http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257757
    ¤
    ¤ So I am confused if I can use this COM DLL in my application. If it's
    ¤ too risky, what alternatives do I have?
    ¤
    ¤ I appreciate any information!

    I'm not really sure which Word COM DLL you are referring to, but the Office applications were not
    designed to be automated from clients lacking a user interface nor in environments where multiple
    threads of execution are involved. This isn't necessarily true of a COM DLL so I'm assuming that
    this is the difference.

    Like I said I don't know anything about this Word COM DLL, but if the component interfaces with
    Microsoft Word via automation then I would expect issues similar to those when working with the Word
    object directly.

    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)