Utilizing dual-cores/multiple CPUs for image processing

whisk3rs

Hello, I have a conceptual question. I need to write a program that
will take as input a list of images and then process each image
individually (extract useful features from the image)

Processing each image takes about 20 seconds, and I would like to
utilize all available cores / CPUs on a machine to do processing in
parallel - for simplicity, I think it'd be easier for now to have each
core process an individual image (rather than have all cores
processing one image in parallel).

The question is, how easy is it to do this? Are there good third-party
parallel extension libraries or do I need to get clever with
multithreading (_beginthread and such)?

sk_usenet

will take as input a list of images and then process each image
individually (extract useful features from the image)

Processing each image takes about 20 seconds, and I would like to
utilize all available cores / CPUs on a machine to do processing in
parallel - for simplicity, I think it'd be easier for now to have each
core process an individual image (rather than have all cores
processing one image in parallel).

The question is, how easy is it to do this? Are there good third-party
parallel extension libraries or do I need to get clever with
multithreading (_beginthread and such)?

Off-topic on c.l.c++. See this
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html

ciccio

Processing each image takes about 20 seconds, and I would like to
utilize all available cores / CPUs on a machine to do processing in
parallel - for simplicity, I think it'd be easier for now to have each
core process an individual image (rather than have all cores
processing one image in parallel).

The question is, how easy is it to do this? Are there good third-party
parallel extension libraries or do I need to get clever with
multithreading (_beginthread and such)?

Have a look at OpenMP, this is quick and easy and basically does what you
need.

<https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/openMP/>

A lot of compilers have it these days.

Regards

sk_usenet

I'm coding in C++, how's this off-topic?

This NG is for discussing *language* specific features of C++ as defined in
ISO/IEC 14882:2003. Processes, threads, cores etc are OT here.

Alexander Dong Back Kim

This NG is for discussing *language* specific features of C++ as defined in
ISO/IEC 14882:2003. Processes, threads, cores etc are OT here.

--http://techytalk.googlepages.com

You are so mean =P

kasthurirangan.balaji

Hello, I have a conceptual question. I need to write a program that
will take as input a list of images and then process each image
individually (extract useful features from the image)

Processing each image takes about 20 seconds, and I would like to
utilize all available cores / CPUs on a machine to do processing in
parallel - for simplicity, I think it'd be easier for now to have each
core process an individual image (rather than have all cores
processing one image in parallel).

The question is, how easy is it to do this? Are there good third-party
parallel extension libraries or do I need to get clever with
multithreading (_beginthread and such)?

you may want to look at intel threading building blocks.

Thanks,
Balaji.