    parallel extension libraries or do I need to get clever with
    multithreading (_beginthread and such)?

    , Apr 14, 2008

  2. sk_usenet Guest

    <> wrote in message > Hello, I have a conceptual question.
    I need to write a program that
    > will take as input a list of images and then process each image
    > individually (extract useful features from the image)
    >
    > Processing each image takes about 20 seconds, and I would like to
    > utilize all available cores / CPUs on a machine to do processing in
    > parallel - for simplicity, I think it'd be easier for now to have each
    > core process an individual image (rather than have all cores
    > processing one image in parallel).
    >
    > The question is, how easy is it to do this? Are there good third-party
    > parallel extension libraries or do I need to get clever with
    > multithreading (_beginthread and such)?

    Off-topic on c.l.c++. See this
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html

    --
    http://techytalk.googlepages.com

    sk_usenet, Apr 14, 2008

  3. ciccio Guest

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, wrote:

    > Processing each image takes about 20 seconds, and I would like to
    > utilize all available cores / CPUs on a machine to do processing in
    > parallel - for simplicity, I think it'd be easier for now to have each
    > core process an individual image (rather than have all cores
    > processing one image in parallel).
    >
    > The question is, how easy is it to do this? Are there good third-party
    > parallel extension libraries or do I need to get clever with
    > multithreading (_beginthread and such)?

    Have a look at OpenMP, this is quick and easy and basically does what you
    need.

    <https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/openMP/>

    A lot of compilers have it these days.

    Regards
    --
    "He expanded his chest to make it totally clear that here
    was the sort of man you only dared to cross if you had a

    ciccio, Apr 14, 2008

    > Off-topic on c.l.c++. See thishttp://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html

    I'm coding in C++, how's this off-topic?

    , Apr 14, 2008
  5. sk_usenet Guest

    <> wrote in message >
    >> Off-topic on c.l.c++. See
    >> thishttp://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html
    >>

    > I'm coding in C++, how's this off-topic?

    This NG is for discussing *language* specific features of C++ as defined in
    ISO/IEC 14882:2003. Processes, threads, cores etc are OT here.

    --
    http://techytalk.googlepages.com

    sk_usenet, Apr 14, 2008
  6. On Apr 15, 3:46 am, "sk_usenet" <sometechyguy at gmail dot com> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message >
    > >> Off-topic on c.l.c++. See
    > >> thishttp://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html

    > > I'm coding in C++, how's this off-topic?

    > This NG is for discussing *language* specific features of C++ as defined in
    > ISO/IEC 14882:2003. Processes, threads, cores etc are OT here.
    >
    > --http://techytalk.googlepages.com

    You are so mean =P

    Alexander Dong Back Kim, Apr 15, 2008

    On Apr 14, 10:20 pm, wrote:
    > Hello, I have a conceptual question. I need to write a program that
    > will take as input a list of images and then process each image
    > individually (extract useful features from the image)
    >
    > Processing each image takes about 20 seconds, and I would like to
    > utilize all available cores / CPUs on a machine to do processing in
    > parallel - for simplicity, I think it'd be easier for now to have each
    > core process an individual image (rather than have all cores
    > processing one image in parallel).
    >
    > The question is, how easy is it to do this? Are there good third-party
    > parallel extension libraries or do I need to get clever with
    > multithreading (_beginthread and such)?

    you may want to look at intel threading building blocks.

    Thanks,
    Balaji.

    , Apr 15, 2008