Validation Controls Have Stopped working

Jay

Something happened on the server that has caused my validation controls to
stop working. In fact, a page that contained the validation controls
doesn't even do a postback.

My asp.net works fine on my laptop, but stopped working on the server.
After several hours I finally figured that the problem is with the
validation controls.

What needs to be installed on the server for the validation controls to
work. I suspect that has been clobbered somehow.

Thanks for your help.
Jay

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

couple things you can check is the validation folder validation.js should be
available. the file path for this folder should be correctly mapped in the
config file. Make sure these are correct

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [Microsoft MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]
Now Available @ http://www.lulu.com/owc

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Alvin's suggestion.

Hi Jay,

I think you can have a check in the "aspnet_client" folder under your
server's IIS site's root directory. The asp.net's validation controls's
clientside validation reply on those global script files installed in that
folder, if you have enabled clientside validation, and those files are not
correctly installed, there may cause some problems at clientside. Also, we
can use the

aspnet_regiis -c

command to install those ASP.NET globa. client script files:

#ASP.NET IIS Registration Tool (Aspnet_regiis.exe)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptools/htm
l/cpgrfaspnetiisregistrationtoolaspnet_regiisexe.asp

Thanks & Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Jay

Thanks for your responses.

Is there some reason why this problem is intermittent. There is something
going on on my server that causes aspnet_client to not be accessed only some
of the time. I have developed many asp.net apps with no problems and I have
used validation. This is the first time I have used the summary validation
control.

Thanks for you help.
Jay

Jay

One more piece of information. I have determined that the website in
question works on my development laptop and on the server when I access the
server from home using VPN. However, the website does not work when I am at
work. But it did work at work until recently. At work, I connect to the
internet using a proxy server.

Any thoughts?
Jay

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Jay,

Not sure whether your server has ever installed any framework update(sp) or
done any setting changes in IIS. based on my experience, since the when
..net framework has been updated after installed some patch, the version of
the global clientscripts will also change. For example, you can find multi
sub folders under
{IIS site root}\aspnet_client\system_web , each of them is specific to a
certain sub version of the asp.net. So if the version is mismatch( your
page's and the files in the aspnet_client), there may occur such
unexpected errors.

Thanks & Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

check this out:

BUG: The Submit button on ASP.NET pages does not work after you install the
..NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;889877

The problem relies on how onsubmit is rendered out on HtmlForm after the
update.It outputs something like onsubmit="if(!ValidatorOnSubmit) return
false;" after the update and the problem being that ValidatorOnSubmit method
calls ValidatorCommonOnSubmit which might have got out of synch and doesn't
return a value (you can check this method from ASp.NET's WebUIValidation.js
file). Therefore the condition in onsubmit always evaluates such that
onsubmit will cancel the postback.

It is explained here in more detail
http://scottonwriting.net/sowBlog/posts/2943.aspx