VB 6 Client (Soap Toolkit) with WS on IIS 6.0 authentication problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by LP, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. LP

    LP Guest

    Hello,

    I am really hoping someone can help me here.
    I have a web service running on Win 2003 IIS 6.0, and VB6 client connecting
    to it with the use of Soap Toolkit. Everything worked fine until I needed to
    enable Basic Authentication.
    Now according to this msdn source:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsoap/html/soapsecurity.asp

    SoapClient.mssoapinit(http://username:userpwd@your-server/webservice/service.wsdl
    ) should do the trick, well it doesn't on IIS 6.0, I get a long error
    message along the lines; "Invalid Parameter. Access denied" But I did try it
    on IIS 5.0 with the same VB 6 client it does work.

    Also I tried reading wsdl file from another dir on the server without
    authentication, but got another error.

    I know that by default IIS 6.0 is "extra" secure. Maybe it's a matter of
    changing a few setting and easing security. Perhaps enable user:pwd@server
    type authentication.

    Thank you for your help.

    LP, Dec 2, 2005

  2. LP

    LP Guest

    Ok, I finally got it to work. In case someone else is going trhough the same
    porblem I will post my notes here:

    1. Working Code:
    '**********************************************************************
    Dim soap As MSSOAPLib30.SoapClient30
    Set soap = New MSSOAPLib30.SoapClient30

    'Key part
    soap.ClientProperty("ConnectorProgID") = "MSSOAP.WinInetConnector30"
    'Key part: append username:password@ before the server address
    soap.MSSoapInit http://username:pwd@server/somews/ws.asmx?wsdl, "csbll",
    "Cardiostation"

    soap.ConnectorProperty("AuthUser") = UID 'username
    soap.ConnectorProperty("AuthPassword") = PWD 'password

    returnData = soap.myWSCall(param1, param2)
    soap.ClientProperty("ConnectorProgID") = "MSSOAP.WinInetConnector30" is
    crucial, that what made the whole thing work. I don't quite understand why,
    if someone else does, please explain.

    2. Setting on the server:
    Make sure "Basic Authentication" is checked off, default domain name should
    be the domain of the username in the code (in most cases local server name),
    and Anonymous access is disabled.

    LP, Dec 3, 2005