Very new to Java..needing resources

RLN

Hello.

I will soon be working in a contract that will be utilizing Oracle and
Java for developing web apps.
I'll admit, my web app development skills are pretty rusty. This is
due mostly because I have developed desktop and client/server apps
using Microsoft tools for several years. I am "as new as 'newbie' can
get with Java". I have worked with Oracle for the last year or so, but
more knowledge with that RDMS won't hurt at this point. I'm new to Java
and while Java code appears at a glance to have a C# look and feel, is
it viewed primarily as a competitive product to C# or J#?

Coming from a VB world, I would be interested in several items that I
can use for help getting started in Java. I will first mention what I
am accustomed to using in the MS world, only in hopes that from that
word picture, you can provide a comparable equivalent ffor the
Oracle/Java world. (disclaimer: I am not mentioning that latter
comment to start a flame war debate between MS and Oracle/Java, so
please, let's not go there in this thread...thnx)

Aside from structured formal training in a classroom setting (of which
I would not be opposed)
Can you point me in the direction of the following:

-Books
I have had several books from O'Reilly publishing in the past. Do they
have any good titles you would recommend for learning Java?
Microsoft Press has their "Step-by Step" series of books for their
tools. Is there a reputable publisher that the Oracle/Java world
trusts for some good 'step-by-step' self paced tutorial work?

-Tools
Microsoft has Visual Studio as their IDE. Is there a good "All under
one roof" development tool you'd recommend for developing Oracle/Java
apps?

This contract might likely ask for some desktop apps as well. Is that
feasible using Oracle/Java, or would it be better to develop the
desktop apps using Oracle/J#?

-Authors
I have know lots of authors on Microsoft technologies whom I have
attended their seminars/workshops at some developer conferences.
Are there some key authors/industry gurus in the Oracle/Java world who
have good resources of information that you would recommend?

If you have a bunch of urls that would point me in the right direction,
I would appreciate your response.
Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

amitgupti

Hello
I would recommend you to use ECLIPSE as a Tool for developing the java
applications,
Though there are many tools available but once you are familar with
Eclipse , all tools will be fair same enough to use.
Web Site --http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Try to download this and then we will take it from here

Amit

jupiter

RLN said:
Hello.

I will soon be working in a contract that will be utilizing
Oracle and
Java for developing web apps.
I'll admit, my web app development skills are pretty rusty. This
is
due mostly because I have developed desktop and client/server
apps
using Microsoft tools for several years. I am "as new as 'newbie'
can
get with Java". I have worked with Oracle for the last year or
so, but
more knowledge with that RDMS won't hurt at this point. I'm new
to Java
and while Java code appears at a glance to have a C# look and
feel, is
it viewed primarily as a competitive product to C# or J#?
I'm sure all these products compete, but they are also seen as "the
right tool for the job" when you have specific requirements (like
running on Linux, hehe.)

C# was built upon the best that a bunch of languages had to offer,
but Java was certainly one of the more influential, possibly the
most influential. Transitioning to Java isn't a big deal to a C#
guy except that the platform is very different (like namespaces are
not just called packages because packages represent the physical
path to the code.) A lot of the syntax is the same, but some
isn't. It's damned weird to write <string myString> instead of
<String myString>. Since you hail from the VB world (I once did
too) you may find more than your share of syntax learnings. I
didn't like it at first, but now I'd rather use the curly braces
and less verbose syntax, or at least don't mind it any more.

Coming from a VB world, I would be interested in several items
that I
can use for help getting started in Java. I will first mention
what I
am accustomed to using in the MS world, only in hopes that from
that
word picture, you can provide a comparable equivalent ffor the
Oracle/Java world. (disclaimer: I am not mentioning that latter
comment to start a flame war debate between MS and Oracle/Java,
so
please, let's not go there in this thread...thnx)
Flames don't help when work needs to get done.

Aside from structured formal training in a classroom setting (of
which
I would not be opposed)
Can you point me in the direction of the following:

-Books
I have had several books from O'Reilly publishing in the past.
Do they
have any good titles you would recommend for learning Java?
Microsoft Press has their "Step-by Step" series of books for
their
tools. Is there a reputable publisher that the Oracle/Java world
trusts for some good 'step-by-step' self paced tutorial work?
Good general books are ubiquitous. The one I find indespensible
for developing servlets and JSPs is "Core Servlets and Java Server
Pages" vol1 by Marty Hall and Larry Brown.

In the Java world you could use any number of application servers
or servlet contrainers to serve up JSPs, but I happen to like
Tomcat. I never bought a Tomcat book but if my job depended on
Tomcat I certainly would.

-Tools
Microsoft has Visual Studio as their IDE. Is there a good "All
under
one roof" development tool you'd recommend for developing
Oracle/Java
apps?
I also like Eclipse and consider it to be at least equal to VS. I
don't do a lot of Swing development with it though. But speaking
of Swing, that is probably the set of packages you'll use to build
any stand alone apps, and a book on Swing would also be mandatory.
I think you can do just about anything with Swing as you can with
the VS IDE, but it all has that Java look and feel. Once you get
used to it, it's cake.

This contract might likely ask for some desktop apps as well. Is
that
feasible using Oracle/Java, or would it be better to develop the
desktop apps using Oracle/J#?
It's only a problem (Java/Oracle) if you don't mind the learning
curve.

Some links that I found more than helpful:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

http://www.dickbaldwin.com/toc.htm

http://www.java.net/

http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/classpath.html

Good luck!

rlntemp-gng

Thanks for your assistance here, I appreciate it.

Let me also apologize for the late reply. I did not mean to ignore
you.

Having said that, I use primarily a yahoo and msn address for my
email.
Is there a way I can be notifed that someone has responded to my
questions here, so that I can provide a more timely reply? I don't
always get out here to check like I would like to, and I sometimes
will forget which newsgroup I poseted which question to....which can
be confusing at best.

Thanks.

RLN