Video Playback Resources?

dsmith000

I'm desperately in need of some direction here...
I'm trying to write some software that would play back a series of
images as
a movie. I can't seem to find any resources on this.
What I'm looking for is a brief tutorial (or VERY well document code)
that
will open a series of images, buffer them properly in memory, and then
play
them back in sequence and a certain rate.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE point me in the right direction. Oh, just as a
reminder, I'm not looking for an application that will do this... I'm
trying
to WRITE and application that will do this.

Thanks,
Dan

Jack Klein

I'm desperately in need of some direction here...

I'd like to give you some direction, but you haven't provided enough
information.
I'm trying to write some software that would play back a series of
images as
a movie. I can't seem to find any resources on this.

The C language itself, and its standard library, does not have any
features that can display an image, or anything else, let alone play a
series of images as movie.
What I'm looking for is a brief tutorial (or VERY well document code)
that
will open a series of images, buffer them properly in memory, and then
play
them back in sequence and a certain rate.

The first part is easy. You use fopen() to open the image files,
probably in binary mode. You use malloc() or calloc() to allocate the
memory to read the into.

But "play them back" is something you cannot do in standard C.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE point me in the right direction. Oh, just as a
reminder, I'm not looking for an application that will do this... I'm
trying
to WRITE and application that will do this.

The right direction is a group that specializes in programming for
your particular hardware platform and operating system, which you
neglected to mention. All interaction with hardware, and that
includes displaying images, is done by non-standard, platform specific
extensions.

jaysome

I'd like to give you some direction, but you haven't provided enough
information.

The C language itself, and its standard library, does not have any
features that can display an image, or anything else, let alone play a
series of images as movie.

The first part is easy. You use fopen() to open the image files,
probably in binary mode. You use malloc() or calloc() to allocate the
memory to read the into.

I think you forgot an important step. How do you find out the value to
pass into malloc()?

Peter Nilsson

jaysome said:
I think you forgot an important step. How do you find out the value to
pass into malloc()?

Umm... by reading the header in the image file?!