Video Playback Resources?

Jacob

I'm desperately in need of some direction here...

I'm trying to write some software that would play back a series of images as
a movie. I'm fairly new to C and I can't seem to find any resources on this.
What I'm looking for is a brief tutorial (or VERY well document code) that
will open a series of images, buffer them properly in memory, and then play
them back in sequence and a certain rate.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE point me in the right direction. Oh, just as a
reminder, I'm not looking for an application that will do this... I'm trying
to WRITE and application that will do this.

Thanks,
Jacob

Chris Croughton

I'm desperately in need of some direction here...

I'm trying to write some software that would play back a series of images as
a movie. I'm fairly new to C and I can't seem to find any resources on this.
What I'm looking for is a brief tutorial (or VERY well document code) that
will open a series of images, buffer them properly in memory, and then play
them back in sequence and a certain rate.

Try one of te newsgroups with multimedia in the name (your news client
should let you search), this newsgroup (comp.lang.c) is for questions
about Standard C only. Your question is very platform and compiler
specific (Microsoft and Borland for Windows, for instance, have a load
of different interfaces for doing that sort of thing; X on a Unix system
is very very different).

Chris C

Raymond Martineau

I'm desperately in need of some direction here...

I'm trying to write some software that would play back a series of images as
a movie.

You're better off asking on a newsgroup for the operating system you are
programming for. This is highly system-specific - even if you do manage to
get an answer, it might not be one that would work for you. Alternativly,
post the question on comp.programmer.

This newsgroup is for Standard C, which does not cover any form of drawing
graphics. At best, you might get some hints about SDL or OpenGL, but that
is generally discouraged in this newsgroup.
I'm fairly new to C and I can't seem to find any resources on this.

Writing playback software can be fairly difficult for an experienced
programmer - you might want to start on something easier first.