Viewing browser cache

newellista

I am writing a Java application that needs to view the browser cache.
Does anyone know of any existing java classes to read Firefox,
Internet Explorer and/or Opera caches?

Failing that, are there any documents that describe the respective
file formats?

Thanks,

Steve

newellista

I am writing a Java application that needs to view the browser cache.
Does anyone know of any existing java classes to read Firefox,
Internet Explorer and/or Opera caches?

Failing that, are there any documents that describe the respective
file formats?

Thanks,

Steve

As a followup, I don't really need to reconstruct browser history, or
anything like that. I simply want to extract any images that may be
cached, along with whatever information I can get about those images.

Thanks,

Steve

Lew

As a followup, I don't really need to reconstruct browser history, or
anything like that. I simply want to extract any images that may be
cached, along with whatever information I can get about those images.

Image file formats are well documented. You should have no problem googling
them up.

Browser caches are a directories on the hard drive, typically. There is no
special "format". You could just use the File classes to snuffle around those
directories.

newellista

Image file formats are well documented. You should have no problem googling
them up.

Browser caches are a directories on the hard drive, typically. There is no
special "format". You could just use the File classes to snuffle around those
directories.
Thanks for the response, but actually, the browser caches are not
simply image files. For example, Safari on the Mac, stores them as
NSArchiver files, Mozilla stores them in some kind of binary map
system, while IE stores them in some hidden file/directory somewhere.

Steve

Lew

Thanks for the response, but actually, the browser caches are not
simply image files. For example, Safari on the Mac, stores them as
NSArchiver files, Mozilla stores them in some kind of binary map
system, while IE stores them in some hidden file/directory somewhere.

IE's browser cache is not necessarily a hidden directory. Firefox also uses a
directory. I was not familiar with the other two.

I guess you'll have to research Safari's and Mozilla's structures.