Viewing browser cache

Discussion in 'Java' started by newellista@gmail.com, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I am writing a Java application that needs to view the browser cache.
    Does anyone know of any existing java classes to read Firefox,
    Internet Explorer and/or Opera caches?

    Failing that, are there any documents that describe the respective
    file formats?

    Thanks,

    Steve
     
    , Apr 4, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Guest

    On Apr 4, 7:40 am, "" <>
    wrote:
    > I am writing a Java application that needs to view the browser cache.
    > Does anyone know of any existing java classes to read Firefox,
    > Internet Explorer and/or Opera caches?
    >
    > Failing that, are there any documents that describe the respective
    > file formats?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve


    As a followup, I don't really need to reconstruct browser history, or
    anything like that. I simply want to extract any images that may be
    cached, along with whatever information I can get about those images.

    Thanks,

    Steve
     
    , Apr 4, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > On Apr 4, 7:40 am, "" <>
    > wrote:
    >> I am writing a Java application that needs to view the browser cache.
    >> Does anyone know of any existing java classes to read Firefox,
    >> Internet Explorer and/or Opera caches?
    >>
    >> Failing that, are there any documents that describe the respective
    >> file formats?
    >>

    > As a followup, I don't really need to reconstruct browser history, or
    > anything like that. I simply want to extract any images that may be
    > cached, along with whatever information I can get about those images.


    Image file formats are well documented. You should have no problem googling
    them up.

    Browser caches are a directories on the hard drive, typically. There is no
    special "format". You could just use the File classes to snuffle around those
    directories.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Apr 4, 2007
    #3
  4. Guest

    On Apr 4, 8:09 am, Lew <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Apr 4, 7:40 am, "" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> I am writing a Java application that needs to view the browser cache.
    > >> Does anyone know of any existing java classes to read Firefox,
    > >> Internet Explorer and/or Opera caches?

    >
    > >> Failing that, are there any documents that describe the respective
    > >> file formats?

    >
    > > As a followup, I don't really need to reconstruct browser history, or
    > > anything like that. I simply want to extract any images that may be
    > > cached, along with whatever information I can get about those images.

    >
    > Image file formats are well documented. You should have no problem googling
    > them up.
    >
    > Browser caches are a directories on the hard drive, typically. There is no
    > special "format". You could just use the File classes to snuffle around those
    > directories.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Thanks for the response, but actually, the browser caches are not
    simply image files. For example, Safari on the Mac, stores them as
    NSArchiver files, Mozilla stores them in some kind of binary map
    system, while IE stores them in some hidden file/directory somewhere.

    Steve
     
    , Apr 4, 2007
    #4
  5. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks for the response, but actually, the browser caches are not
    > simply image files. For example, Safari on the Mac, stores them as
    > NSArchiver files, Mozilla stores them in some kind of binary map
    > system, while IE stores them in some hidden file/directory somewhere.


    IE's browser cache is not necessarily a hidden directory. Firefox also uses a
    directory. I was not familiar with the other two.

    I guess you'll have to research Safari's and Mozilla's structures.

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Apr 4, 2007
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mark
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    387
  2. crjunk
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    464
    crjunk
    Jul 1, 2005
  3. kayodeok
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    419
    Davmagic .Com
    Sep 10, 2004
  4. Uriah Piddle

    Viewing in Browser

    Uriah Piddle, Sep 10, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    360
    Uriah Piddle
    Sep 11, 2006
  5. Edward Diener
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    468
    Bart Van der Donck
    Oct 26, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page