Viral Marketing -- How to get visitors to your site

Discussion in 'HTML' started by caveat lector, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. http://www.webspiner.com/viral/index.htm

    Viral Marketing
    Many people are creating their own web sites, both for fun and for profit. And
    one fact is true of just all of these sites - visitors are needed. I mean,
    without people, and lots of them, visiting your web site it's a pretty futile
    effort, isn't it? Why bother to put all of the effort, sweat and time into a
    site only to have no one read it?

    Most people understand that to be seen they need to submit their sites to
    search engines. Many others use email signatures, postings to FFA lists and
    other similar methods to get people to get to their site. Some even use
    classified ads and perhaps even ezines to promote their hard work.

    One of the best and most often overlooked method of promoting a site is called
    viral marketing. This is the technique that has been successfully used by the
    largest web sites over and over again. Sites with familiar names like
    Amazon.Com, Bluemountain.Com and even Yahoo.Com.

    So what is viral marketing? It is exactly what it sounds like ... you create
    something that people want and add some links to that thing. Visitors to your
    website like what you've got and add it to their own web sites, send it to
    their friends and load it onto their own computers for future reference!

    And then those friends and visitors to their web sites do the same thing. They
    download it to their own sites, send it to their own friends and load it on
    their own computers.

    Thus, it works just like a virus! And believe me, a good viral marketing
    campaign can spread fast and furious, all over the internet. You got a great
    free give-away with your links, and other people will do the rest for you.

    Compared to a good viral marketing program, the search engines are a small drop
    in the bucket. Great sites like Yahoo.Com would die in a minute if they
    depended upon search engines - they depend upon millions of other people
    advertising for them.

    http://www.webspiner.com/viral/index.htm

    --

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --

    Offer the people what they need.

    caveat lector, Oct 8, 2003

  2. caveat lector

    PeterMcC Guest

    caveat lector wrote:
    <snip>
    > Great sites like Yahoo.Com would die in a
    > minute if they depended upon search engines

    Isn't there some sort of contradiction here?

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Oct 8, 2003

  3. caveat lector

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    caveat lector said...

    > Many people are creating their own web sites, both for fun and for profit.

    bullshit. first i've heard about it. you're clearly delusional.

    --
    08/October/2003 06:58:40 pm

    brucie, Oct 8, 2003
  4. caveat lector

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 08 Oct 2003 08:42:47 GMT, ( caveat lector)
    wrote:

    >Viral Marketing
    >Many people are creating their own web sites, both for fun and for profit.

    Ohmygod ! It's 1999 again !

    Andy Dingley, Oct 8, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > On 08 Oct 2003 08:42:47 GMT, ( caveat lector)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Viral Marketing
    > >Many people are creating their own web sites, both for fun and for profit.

    > Ohmygod ! It's 1999 again !

    1999 was a good year. New house, new car, great holiday in the Three
    Valleys over Christmas. Fantastic.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Oct 8, 2003
  6. caveat lector

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Hywel Jenkins said...

    >> Ohmygod ! It's 1999 again !

    > 1999 was a good year. New house, new car, great holiday in the Three
    > Valleys over Christmas. Fantastic.

    1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
    under insured and i had no contents insurance. :-(

    --
    brucie.
    09/October/2003 07:59:12 am

    brucie, Oct 8, 2003
  7. caveat lector

    andy johnson Guest

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:03:19 +1000, brucie <> wrote:

    >1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
    >under insured and i had no contents insurance. :-(

    Did the pet Kangaroo make it out OK?
    -
    Andy

    "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
    didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
    - (Calvin and Hobbes) (this email addy is never checked...)

    andy johnson, Oct 9, 2003
  8. caveat lector

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:01:31 -0700, andy johnson is reported
    to have stated:

    > On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:03:19 +1000, brucie <> wrote:
    >>
    >>1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
    >>under insured and i had no contents insurance. :-(

    > Did the pet Kangaroo make it out OK?

    The kangaroo is Richard's, not brucie's. Easy mistake to make, I know...
    ;-)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Oct 9, 2003
  9. caveat lector

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > In post <>
    > Hywel Jenkins said...
    >
    > >> Ohmygod ! It's 1999 again !

    > > 1999 was a good year. New house, new car, great holiday in the Three
    > > Valleys over Christmas. Fantastic.

    > 1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
    > under insured and i had no contents insurance. :-(

    Could have been worse. You could have.. uh... Man, I guess it couldn't
    get any worse.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Oct 9, 2003
  10. caveat lector

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    andy johnson said...

    >>1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
    >>under insured and i had no contents insurance. :-(

    > Did the pet Kangaroo make it out OK?

    i didn't have one but i lost a mommy possum with 4 cute little babies
    that lived in a little house i made for them. daddy possum escaped
    with really bad burns. he still comes around for a feed occasionally
    but he hasn't found a new lady friend. its very sad.

    --
    brucie.
    09/October/2003 11:45:31 am

    brucie, Oct 9, 2003