    abandoned by MS further down the line, or to discover later that it was
    the "poorer cousin". Which platform should I invest my time in learning
    and why ?

    Bit Byte, Feb 4, 2007

  2. re:
    > largely incompatable

    I don't know what gives you that idea.

    Visual Web Developer is embedded in Visual Studio,
    and is the identical same program, standalone or embedded.

    The differences are that Visual Studio has quite a few features which VWD doesn't have,
    that Visual Studio can be used to develop Windows programs and not just web apps,
    and that add-ins don't work with VWD.

    There's a list of features for each VS version at :
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Bit Byte

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Bit Byte" <> wrote in message

    >I am new to web development - but I am confused with the 2 (largely
    >incompatable) development choices available.

    Obviously, when you say "largely incompatible", you actually mean "very
    similar"...

    VWD is merely a free cut-down version of Visual Studio.NET. If you take all
    of the "Express" editions of the development suite and add them together,
    you (more or less) arrive at the full-blown Visual Studio.NET 2005.

    Mark Rae, Feb 4, 2007
  4. Bit Byte

    Bit Byte Guest

    Correction:

    I need to clarify myself. I'm talking aout the incompatabilities between
    Web Application Project Model and Web Site Projects - which model is the
    most widely supported (I know they both have pros and cons) - but I
    don't really want to invest time with one only to find I picked the
    "wrong horse"

    Bit Byte, Feb 4, 2007
  5. re:
    > Web Application Project Model and Web Site Projects

    The VS 2005 WAP model is geared more towards large-scale,
    multi-developer, commercial web development.

    Web site projects (the VWD model) is suited for small websites/standalone development.

    You would not want to attempt to perform large scale
    or distributed type development with VWD, anyway.

    Your choice, depending on your needs and budget.

    If you can afford the cost for VS 2005, buy it.
    If your budget is limited, take the free VWD IDE.

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 4, 2007
  6. WAP and WSP has nothing to do with the version of VS, other than I guess you
    can not run WAP from VS Express versions.

    WSP is the "original" VS 2005 model, and is the only model available in a
    clean VS 2005 installation - so for that reason it will be the most widely
    supported. But that said there is no more "supported" cons, sins VS 2005 SP1
    adds support for WSP.

    Are you comming from classic ASP webdevelopment, you would most likely
    prefer the WSP, sins it would be very much like you are used too. But are you
    coming from VB or are you planing to make large scale websolutions you would
    likely prefer the WAP model. Sinse it gives you better control over your web
    project, and better options for structuring your projekt in seperated
    assemblies - which you can not do i the WSP model.

    And here is the link to "Comparing Web Site Projects and Web Application
    Projects":
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx#wapp_topic5

    Hope it helps you!

    Best regards
    Casper Stendal
    www.ecreo.dk

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FzcGVy?=, Feb 4, 2007
  7. Bit Byte

    Bit Byte Guest

    Clearest delineation thus far. Many thanks once again

    Bit Byte, Feb 4, 2007
  8. On Feb 4, 12:34 pm, Bit Byte <> wrote:
    > I am new to web development - but I am confused with the 2 (largely
    > incompatable) development choices available.
    >
    > I dont really want to invest time learning one, only to have iit
    > abandoned by MS further down the line, or to discover later that it was
    > the "poorer cousin". Which platform should I invest my time in learning
    > and why ?

    They're the exact same "platforms"...
    If you now one you now the other!
    If you have one application written in any one that applcation will be
    100% compatible with the other one...
    (At least FROM Visual Web TO Visual Studio)

    When that's said, buy an MSDN Universal subscription and get
    EVERYTHING microsoft ever has created for free... :)
    That will definitively be the cheapest long term solution if you're
    serious about .Net development!!

    ..t

    --
    http://ajaxwidgets.com
    Free ASP.NET Ajax Widgets NOW!

    Thomas Hansen, Feb 4, 2007
  9. Bit Byte

    Mark Rae Guest

    Mark Rae, Feb 4, 2007
  10. Bit Byte

    Jon Paal Guest

    there's another factor to consider....

    Visual Web developer is free, but PIG SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW !

    You will waste much time using VWD because of its "click wait", "click wait" response time

    If time is money for you, then free is not such a good deal...

    Jon Paal, Feb 4, 2007
  11. re:
    > Visual Web developer is free, but PIG SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW !

    Compared to what ?

    I've found that in systems with at least 512MB RAM and decent processor speed, it works fine.
    If you have 1GB RAM, it works very fast.

    Do you have any test data that shows otherwise ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 4, 2007
  12. Bit Byte

    Jon Paal Guest

    compared to every other application I use.

    personal experience -- search the forums, similar reports abound...

    Jon Paal, Feb 4, 2007
  13. re:
    > personal experience -- search the forums, similar reports abound...

    I've seen a couple of reports like :
    "takes a few minutes to open on my work laptop"

    ....which I consider worthless, since on a test box I have with only
    twin PIII 800Mhz processors and 512MB RAM its performance is adequate.

    Are you referring to its loading time ( and not to its performance ) ?

    VWD SP1 resolves a lot of problems:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhip...l-studio-vwd-express-2005-service-pack-1.aspx

    Have you installed it ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 4, 2007
  14. Bit Byte

    Jon Paal Guest

    I would guess we simply guage performance differently.

    I have sp1 and it is still PIG SLOOOOOOOOW. Loading and performance wise, screen switching, view opening and closing, etc.

    click ...wait 20 seconds, click...wait 10 seconds , yawn ... go get coffee... lunch... nap..., wait, wait, wait....

    In any case , fair warning provided, and the original poster can judge for themselves....

    Jon Paal, Feb 4, 2007
  15. re:
    > In any case , fair warning provided, and the original poster can judge for themselves....

    For sure, I'd welcome other opinions.

    Juan T. Llibre, Feb 4, 2007
  16. Bit Byte

    Guest

    On Feb 4, 5:43 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote:
    > re:
    >
    > > largely incompatable

    > I don't know what gives you that idea.
    >
    > Visual Web Developer is embedded in Visual Studio,
    > and is the identical same program, standalone or embedded.
    >
    > The differences are that Visual Studio has quite a few features which VWD doesn't have,
    > that Visual Studio can be used to develop Windows programs and not just web apps,
    > and that add-ins don't work with VWD.

    Yes, this is my understanding, too. Does Reporting Model of the
    Reporting Services work with VWD? I have not had good luck finding
    reporting model in VWD after I installed the Reporting Services Add-in
    for VWD.

    > There's a list of features for each VS version at :http://msdn2.microsoft..com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx
    >
    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ===================================
    >

    > "Bit Byte" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > >I am new to web development - but I am confused with the 2 (largely incompatable) development
    > >choices available.
    > > I dont really want to invest time learning one, only to have iit abandoned by MS further down the
    > > line, or to discover later that it was the "poorer cousin". Which platform should I invest my time
    > > in learning and why ?- Hide quoted text -

    , Feb 5, 2007
  17. Bit Byte

    clintonG Guest

    That's right -- the big cheat is going on -- paying for MSDN Subscriptions
    does not include Expression Web which is the software replacing FrontPage
    but the rumor is Expression Web will be built into the next release of
    Visual Studio. So if he rumor is true until the next release of Visual
    Studio those paying for subscriptions are getting cheated and have to pay
    extra for webpage layout.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    MAP http://wikimapia.org/#y=43038073&x=-88043838&z=17&l=0&m=h