    I am using python 2.6.5, but web searching seemed to show that 2.7 or
    3.X didn't support it yet either.

    -Ralf Haring

    Ralf Haring, Sep 20, 2010

  2. On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ralf Haring <> wrote:

    > After running into the error "Setup script exited with error: Unable
    > to find vcvarsall.bat" when trying to use easy_install / setuptools a
    > little digging showed that the MS compiler files in distutils only
    > support up to Studio 2008. Does anyone know if there is a timetable
    > for when Studio 2010 will be supported?
    >
    > I am using python 2.6.5, but web searching seemed to show that 2.7 or
    > 3.X didn't support it yet either.

    You should use VS 2008 - the lack of distutils support is only the
    first of a long list of issues if you want to use another compiler to
    build python extensions. Unless you really know what you are doing,
    you are better off with VS 2008,

    cheers,

    David

    David Cournapeau, Sep 20, 2010

  3. David Cournapeau <> writes:

    > On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ralf Haring <> wrote:
    >>
    >> After running into the error "Setup script exited with error: Unable
    >> to find vcvarsall.bat" when trying to use easy_install / setuptools a
    >> little digging showed that the MS compiler files in distutils only
    >> support up to Studio 2008. Does anyone know if there is a timetable
    >> for when Studio 2010 will be supported?
    >>
    >> I am using python 2.6.5, but web searching seemed to show that 2.7 or
    >> 3.X didn't support it yet either.

    > You should use VS 2008 - the lack of distutils support is only the
    > first of a long list of issues if you want to use another compiler to
    > build python extensions. Unless you really know what you are doing,
    > you are better off with VS 2008,

    Forgive my ignorance, but AFAIK mingw can be used to build extensions
    for standard python distributions. After all, it's C we're talking here,
    not C++. So I have difficulties imagining VS2010 is that much of a
    problem. So - which problems you expect?

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Sep 20, 2010
  4. Ralf Haring

    Robert Kern Guest

    On 9/20/10 3:54 PM, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
    > David Cournapeau<> writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ralf Haring<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> After running into the error "Setup script exited with error: Unable
    >>> to find vcvarsall.bat" when trying to use easy_install / setuptools a
    >>> little digging showed that the MS compiler files in distutils only
    >>> support up to Studio 2008. Does anyone know if there is a timetable
    >>> for when Studio 2010 will be supported?
    >>>
    >>> I am using python 2.6.5, but web searching seemed to show that 2.7 or
    >>> 3.X didn't support it yet either.

    >> You should use VS 2008 - the lack of distutils support is only the
    >> first of a long list of issues if you want to use another compiler to
    >> build python extensions. Unless you really know what you are doing,
    >> you are better off with VS 2008,

    > Forgive my ignorance, but AFAIK mingw can be used to build extensions
    > for standard python distributions. After all, it's C we're talking here,
    > not C++. So I have difficulties imagining VS2010 is that much of a
    > problem. So - which problems you expect?

    VS2010 uses a different C runtime DLL than VS2008 and Python 2.6, and I believe
    this cannot be changed. This will cause errors for a variety of Python extension
    modules. mingw can be retargeted to link against one of several different C
    runtimes, including the one VS2008 uses.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Sep 20, 2010
  5. On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Diez B. Roggisch <> wrote:
    > David Cournapeau <> writes:
    >
    >> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Ralf Haring <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> After running into the error "Setup script exited with error: Unable
    >>> to find vcvarsall.bat" when trying to use easy_install / setuptools a
    >>> little digging showed that the MS compiler files in distutils only
    >>> support up to Studio 2008. Does anyone know if there is a timetable
    >>> for when Studio 2010 will be supported?
    >>>
    >>> I am using python 2.6.5, but web searching seemed to show that 2.7 or
    >>> 3.X didn't support it yet either.

    >> You should use VS 2008 - the lack of distutils support is only the
    >> first of a long list of issues if you want to use another compiler to
    >> build python extensions. Unless you really know what you are doing,
    >> you are better off with VS 2008,

    > Forgive my ignorance, but AFAIK mingw can be used to build extensions
    > for standard python distributions.

    Yes, mingw may be used - I assumed that the OP was interesting in MS compilers.

    > After all, it's C we're talking here,
    > not C++. So I have difficulties imagining VS2010 is that much of a
    > problem. So - which problems you expect?

    The ones described by Robert,

    David

    David Cournapeau, Sep 21, 2010