Visual Studio and IIS

BobLaughland

Hi All,

I am using visual studio 2003 on a website I am developing on. I have
it running inside a VM, and use IIS to host the website when I am
viewing and debugging it.

The problem is that when I recompile the project and then load up the
site again with a browser it takes ages to load the start page
(probably about 3 or 4 minutes).

Anyway this really slows down development as you can understand.

Any suggestions?

I am using Virtual PC, and the VM has 512Mb memory allocated to it.

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

Hi,
Hi All,

I am using visual studio 2003 on a website I am developing on. I have
it running inside a VM, and use IIS to host the website when I am
viewing and debugging it.

The problem is that when I recompile the project and then load up the
site again with a browser it takes ages to load the start page
(probably about 3 or 4 minutes).

Anyway this really slows down development as you can understand.

Any suggestions?

I am using Virtual PC, and the VM has 512Mb memory allocated to it.

512MB sounds a little on the "small" side to me. However I am not a
Virtual PC expert. In my place, we use VMWare with good results, but it
costs.

That there is a longer delay when you recompile the project is normal,
because .NET doesn't create binaries, but IL (intermediate language),
which will be JIT-ed (Compiled Just-In-Time) when the first call occurs.
But 3 to 4 minutes sounds quite bad. How much do you get when you run
it on a non-virtual installation?

Do you have a way to use ASP.NET 2.0 instead of 1.1? That would imply
using VS2005 (or VS2008, still in Beta but really in a good shape)
instead of VS2003.

Finally, the "good old times" anecdotes: When I started developing (in
1996), I was working on embedded systems and writing code in C, and
there was no differential compilation, so the whole system had to build
every time. A compilation took 8 minutes. During these 8 minutes, it was
pretty much impossible to do anything else on the PC. Let me tell you, I
was compiling much less often than now :)

Then I got a new computer and the compilation time dropped to 3 minutes.
It did feel really great :)

Greetings,
Laurent

BobLaughland

Hi,

--
Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]
Software engineering, Blog:http://www.galasoft.ch

Any other ideas on this? I have run this type of thing on normal
computers (not running in a virtual environment), and this problem
doesn't normally occur, or if so it is just a short delay.

Unfortunately I cannot use much more than 512 memory in the VM as my
host machine only has 1GB.

Aha, is there a conversion tool to take a virtual PC image into
VMWare? I may give it a go for comparison, I don't really care if it
makes no difference, but it could be an interesting comparison.