    more detail if needed.

    Should I expect to be able to open the files and run the project? I am a
    programmer and I had hoped I might learn the language in this way.
    Mike, Feb 10, 2006

  2. It sounds like that your developer is probably using VS 2003. Anytime you
    open any of these projects in VS 2005, it will want to upgrade.

    You might try to get your hands on VS 2003.
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks, I see VS 2003 seems to be still available.

    Also, I wonder if the folder might contain obsolete junk files and the
    conversion is trying to include them in the project.

    What exactly is the 2005 Express edition and why is it free? Should it be
    able to convert and open the project?

    Mike, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I have excluded 3 files from the project, which seemed to be reporting
    errors. I was able to compile and run the project. If there was no complaint
    of any missing files during compilation, would you guess that the three
    files were obsolete and not needed?

    I haven't been able to explore the site yet to see if everything's there. I
    encountered another problem with an outdated MDAC, which I'm now correcting.

    Mike, Feb 13, 2006
  5. The 2005 Express products are in essence the individual modules that fit
    into VS 2005. VS 2005 itself has a lot more bells and whistles than the
    Express products.

    As for converting a project, I believe the Express products should perform a
    conversion; however, I have never tried it myself. Generally, I have taken
    my ASP.NET 1.x applications (associated with a given directory) and opened
    them directly in VWD Express. For the most part, I didn't use VS 2003, so I
    wasn't burdened with project files as well as any of the extraneous files
    that came with VS 2003.
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Feb 13, 2006
  6. If the missing files were some of the extraneous files that VS 2003 produced
    when you created a project, then you probably won't miss them.
    Additionally, some of the errors are probably associated with 1.x
    functionality that has been removed or changed in 2.0. So, you might look
    at that before completely dismissing your excluded files.
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Feb 13, 2006