Visual Test Automation

Greg Willits

OK, I guess I just don't kow to find it, but I'm looking for something
that automates the running of Ruby Test::Unit tests and generates one of
those "red bar / green bar" displays.

I see a billion "automet the browser with javscript" deals, but that's
not what I am looking for. I just want some process on some machine to
run tests and provide a nig simple display of each test, each assertion
and whether it passed or failed.

I wrote one of these myself for Lasso a couple years ago, but I'm
struggling to find one for Ruby.

Help. Thx.

-- gw

Ryan Davis

OK, I guess I just don't kow to find it, but I'm looking for something
that automates the running of Ruby Test::Unit tests and generates
one of
those "red bar / green bar" displays.

I see a billion "automet the browser with javscript" deals, but that's
not what I am looking for. I just want some process on some machine to
run tests and provide a nig simple display of each test, each
assertion
and whether it passed or failed.

I don't _use_ any of these, but I think you want to experiment with
the runner stuff in test/unit. tk ships with ruby so it prolly works
as-is. Check it:
% ruby -rtest/unit -e 0 -- --help
Test::Unit automatic runner.
Usage: -e [options] [-- untouched arguments]

-r, --runner=RUNNER Use the given RUNNER.
(c[onsole], f[ox], g[tk],
g[tk]2, t[k])
-b, --basedir=DIR Base directory of test suites.
-w, --workdir=DIR Working directory to run tests.
-a, --add=TORUN Add TORUN to the list of things
to run;
can be a file or a directory.
-p, --pattern=PATTERN Match files to collect against
PATTERN.
-x, --exclude=PATTERN Ignore files to collect against
PATTERN.
-n, --name=NAME Runs tests matching NAME.
(patterns may be used).
-t, --testcase=TESTCASE Runs tests in TestCases
matching TESTCASE.
(patterns may be used).
-I, --load-path=DIR[:DIR...] Appends directory list to
$LOAD_PATH.
-v, --verbose=[LEVEL] Set the output level (default
is verbose).
(s[ilent], p[rogress],
n[ormal], v[erbose])
-- Stop processing options so that
the
remaining options will be
passed to the
test.
-h, --help Display this help.

Deprecated options:
--console Console runner (use --runner).
--gtk GTK runner (use --runner).
--fox Fox runner (use --runner).

glenn gillen

I see a billion "automet the browser with javscript" deals, but that's
not what I am looking for. I just want some process on some machine to
run tests and provide a nig simple display of each test, each assertion
and whether it passed or failed.

Wouldn't a continuous integration server with formatted output piped
to somewhere give you what you want?

Intransition

OK, I guess I just don't kow to find it, but I'm looking for something
that automates the running of Ruby Test::Unit tests and generates one of
those "red bar / green bar" displays.

I see a billion "automet the browser with javscript" deals, but that's
not what I am looking for. I just want some process on some machine to
run tests and provide a nig simple display of each test, each assertion
and whether it passed or failed.

I wrote one of these myself for Lasso a couple years ago, but I'm
struggling to find one for Ruby.

Perhaps "Turn" is what you are looking for.

sudo gem install turn