Visual web Developer 2005 Express beta 1 questions.

bredal Jensen

I'm currently downloading the Microsoft "Visual web developer 2005 Express"
and i have a few questions in case someone could have insider informations
about this.
I have just attended a seminar with "Scott Guthrie" (Hope someone knows who
this guy is)
and i have been looking forward to get my hands on any widbey beta for web
developement.

So my questions are:

1) Does the above mentioned tool correspond to the VS Whidbey beta only for
web?

2) Will i actually have a chance to play with the 50+ new server controls
announced for whidbey?

3)( For people who have experience with VS betas) Is it stupid to attempt to
start developping real world apps with this tool?
Scott Guthrie said Beta 2 should allow this. But i do not want to wait half
a year or more , so i'm i beeing stupid to attemp to use it for commercial
apps?

4) Are there any licensing issues.

Well i doubt someone will answer all my questions but i hope anyone who
knows more about this then i do will tell me something usefull.

Thanks in advance....

JB

Teemu Keiski

Scott Guthrie is Program Unit Manager for the ASP.NET Team at Microsoft. You
can literally think that he invented ASP.NET from the beginning. :)

1) It is the web app development tool part of VS Whidbey, yes.

2) Yes

3) Just because the technology isn't yet in the RTM stage, it wouldn't be
very reasonable to develop commercial apps with it. One reason being that
you might face unresolved bugs, changes in the API when next beta/RTM comes
out and so forth. It just ain't reasonable from maintenance standpoint if
you need to modify the software because the platform still evolves (because
it isn't in stable phase). And yes, you have licensing issues with beta 1.

4) Yes, you can make public/commercial apps when MS releases GoLive
licensing, but that will happen with beta 2. With beta 1 you have no chance
to make commercial app from licensing standpoint.

bredal Jensen

Great all my answers resolved and i'm happy that this forum exist.

Thanks a lot.

JB

bredal Jensen

As i started "Poking" with new tool i realised that it may not sound right
if i claimed that my asp.net web dev cert. (exam 70-315) is still valid for
whidbey.

I know the programming model has not "changed" but i have to admit that one
has to upgrade knowledges to claim beeing certified for developement with
this tool.

Is that the case? Will there be new certifications for asp.net developers.

Things have been greatly simplified but before you can profit from all these
"goodies"
you must know how to use them.

When i drag and drop my login control , and i create user thanks to the
"createUserWisard" , then i have to guess were all these user informations
goes.

But then i discover that an acces database was created in my "project
folder".
(Thank you lord for allowing me this acces!)

What if i do not want to mess with acces? Well there should be a "provider"
thing
that can make me change DB acces without too much worries ;) ....cool
enough but there dies obviously my cert...

I probably need to get a new one soon.(Sorry if this question has been
answered somwhere else)

Thanks