Visual Web Developer does not support creating Web sites on a SharePoint Web server

William LaMartin

It was suggested that I post this query here rather than in the
Microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb group.

I just received my Visual Studio upgrade to 2005 Pro and tried to create a
new web site via File | New Web Site with location http. Unfortunately I
received the following error:

"Visual Web Developer does not support creating Web sites on a SharePoint
Web server"

Apparently SharePoint is causing the problem, which, I think, was installed
as part of FrontPage 2002 before I installed VS 2005.

Is there some change that can be made so that I do not need the following
workaround I figured out?

Workaround:

First, using Windows Explorer you create a new folder in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot,
say, TestSite. Then you open up IIS and create a virtual directory with
alias TestSite, and point it to the folder you created named TestSite.

Now in Visual Studio you can create your new website using the above created
folder, TestSite.