Problem creating ASP website on server running sharepoint services

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Alastair Bell, May 3, 2007.

  1. I am having trouble creating a web site on a server running sharepoint
    services.
    I am creating an ASP.Net website using Visual Studio 2005. The server I am
    trying to create it on is a Windows 2003 server.

    From what I understand I need to exclude in sharepoint services the folder
    where the application will be deployed. I have done this in the Define
    Managed Paths section of the Sharepoint management site, but it has no
    effect. Even after I have done this and then attempt to create the ASP.Net
    website in Visual Studio I get the error message.

    "Visual Web Developer does not support opening Sharepoint web sites. See
    help for more details".

    Hence despite excluding the folder, the website still attempts to deploy
    into Sharepoint Services instead of the IIS. This is backed up by the fact
    that I can then see the website listed in "Sites and Workspaces" in
    Sharepoint.

    Would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with this problem.

    --
    Regards
    Alastair Bell
    Alastair Bell, May 3, 2007

  2. Alastair Bell wrote:
    > I am having trouble creating a web site on a server running sharepoint
    > services.
    > I am creating an ASP.Net website using Visual Studio 2005. The server
    > I am trying to create it on is a Windows 2003 server.

    recommended practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net is
    a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be lucky enough
    to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your question, you
    can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a newsgroup
    where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest
    to help you.

    Actually, the vsnet groups would probably be more appropriate for this
    question, but I may be wrong.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 3, 2007

  3. Re: Problem creating ASP website on server running sharepoint serv

    Bob, thankyou for that information, I will try your suggestions.
    --
    Alastair Bell

    Alastair Bell, May 3, 2007