Vote on PyPI comments

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Withers, Nov 13, 2009.

  1. Hi All,

    Apologies for the cross post, but I'm not sure this has received the
    publicity it deserves...

    PyPI grew a commenting and rating system a while back, apparently in
    response to requests from users. However, since it's been rolled out,
    there's been a backlash from package maintainers who already have
    mailing lists, bug trackers, etc for their packages and don't want to
    have to try and keep track of yet another support forum.

    The arguments for and against are listed here:

    http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPIComments

    To resolve the future of the commenting and rating system, a vote has
    been set up so everyone can have their say.

    To vote, please log in to:

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi

    ....and follow the instructions you'll be presented with.

    I would like to remain neutral on this, and for me that means giving
    package authors the ability to choose whether they want to receive
    comments, ratings or neither rather than either forcing package authors
    to accept comments and ratings or abandoning the idea of comments and
    ratings completely.

    The closest option to that is:

    "Allow package owners to disallow comments (ratings unmodified)"

    I hope the majority of you feel the same way...

    Chris

    - http://www.simplistix.co.uk

    Chris Withers, Nov 13, 2009

  2. On Nov 13, 4:39 pm, Chris Withers <> wrote:

    > PyPI grew a commenting and rating system a while back, apparently in
    > response to requests from users. However, since it's been rolled out,
    > there's been a backlash from package maintainers who already have
    > mailing lists, bug trackers, etc for their packages and don't want to
    > have to try and keep track of yet another support forum.

    I am skeptical about the utility of both rating and comments. If
    somebody wants to know
    if a package is good, she should ask here.

    Michele Simionato, Nov 13, 2009

  3. >> PyPI grew a commenting and rating system a while back, apparently in
    >> response to requests from users. However, since it's been rolled out,
    >> there's been a backlash from package maintainers who already have
    >> mailing lists, bug trackers, etc for their packages and don't want to
    >> have to try and keep track of yet another support forum.
    >>

    > I am skeptical about the utility of both rating and comments. If
    > somebody wants to know
    > if a package is good, she should ask here.

    Hmm, do you really think subscribing to python-list should be a
    prerequisite for people who want to have some clue which python
    software they want to use?

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    Daniel Fetchinson, Nov 13, 2009
  4. Michele Simionato schrieb:
    > On Nov 13, 4:39 pm, Chris Withers <> wrote:
    >> PyPI grew a commenting and rating system a while back, apparently in
    >> response to requests from users. However, since it's been rolled out,
    >> there's been a backlash from package maintainers who already have
    >> mailing lists, bug trackers, etc for their packages and don't want to
    >> have to try and keep track of yet another support forum.
    >>

    > I am skeptical about the utility of both rating and comments. If
    > somebody wants to know
    > if a package is good, she should ask here.

    The ratio user to posters certainly speaks against that - for any given
    package, there are so many users that never appear here - but they stil
    might share insights about the package.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Nov 13, 2009
  5. On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:53:05 -0800, Michele Simionato wrote:

    > I am skeptical about the utility of both rating and comments. If
    > somebody wants to know
    > if a package is good, she should ask here.

    Because unlike people writing comments, people here are never
    incompetent, misinformed, dishonest, confused, trolling or just wrong.

    But sometimes sarcastic.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Nov 15, 2009
  6. On Nov 15, 5:17 am, Steven D'Aprano <st...@REMOVE-THIS-
    cybersource.com.au> wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:53:05 -0800, Michele Simionato wrote:
    > > I am skeptical about the utility of both rating and comments. If
    > > somebody wants to know
    > > if a package is good, she should ask here.

    > Because unlike people writing comments, people here are never
    > incompetent, misinformed, dishonest, confused, trolling or just wrong.
    >
    > But sometimes sarcastic.
    >
    > --
    > Steven

    All right, but the newsgroup has interactivity and the presence of
    true Python experts too.
    A blind vote given by an anonymous person does not look more
    informative to me.

    Michele Simionato, Nov 15, 2009
  7. >> > I am skeptical about the utility of both rating and comments. If
    >> > somebody wants to know
    >> > if a package is good, she should ask here.

    >> Because unlike people writing comments, people here are never
    >> incompetent, misinformed, dishonest, confused, trolling or just wrong.
    >>
    >> But sometimes sarcastic.
    >>

    > All right, but the newsgroup has interactivity and the presence of
    > true Python experts too.
    > A blind vote given by an anonymous person does not look more
    > informative to me.

    You are right about a single vote, but the way these things usually
    work is that out of 1000 votes the non-informative ones average out
    ("wow! awsome package!" vs "this sucks bad!") and the net vote result
    is generally indicative of the actual thing that was voted on
    especially when there is no direct financial incentive to cheat.

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    Daniel Fetchinson, Nov 15, 2009
  8. On Nov 15, 9:21 am, Daniel Fetchinson <>
    wrote:

    > >> Because unlike people writing comments, people here are never
    > >> incompetent, misinformed, dishonest, confused, trolling or just wrong.

    > >> But sometimes sarcastic.

    > > All right, but the newsgroup has interactivity and the presence of
    > > true Python experts too.
    > > A blind vote given by an anonymous person does not look more
    > > informative to me.

    > You are right about a single vote, but the way these things usually
    > work is that out of 1000 votes the non-informative ones average out
    > ("wow! awsome package!" vs "this sucks bad!") and the net vote result
    > is generally indicative of the actual thing that was voted on
    > especially when there is no direct financial incentive to cheat.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Daniel
    >
    > --
    > Psss, psss, put it down! -http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown

    I haven't used the PyPI rating / comments system at all. Can comments
    accrue which complain about bugs or missing features of old versions
    of the package? If so, they could be misleading for users coming to
    view a package before trying it.

    Or do comments and ratings only apply to a particular version of a
    package, and get removed from the package's 'front page' every time a
    new version is released?

    Thanks,
    Jonathan Hartley

    Jonathan Hartley, Nov 15, 2009