VS 2008 is very slow when design aspx file

Ryan Liu

Hi,

I spend most time works on Windows form application and VS 2008 runs at a
acceptable speed.

While I edit aspx file, especially change to Designer View, it seems very
slow.

Some time even very slow while in Markup view, maybe it is doing some backup
compiling and sycn.

For a given laptop(Intel [email protected], 1G memory, Inspiron 1420) are there any
tips to speed up?

Thanks a lot!
Ryan

Mark Fitzpatrick

Another thing to check other than the hotfix, is your web.config. If you
have a number of dependent assemblies listed there and they are not the
correct version (ie: the version number in the web.config doesn't match the
version number of the assembly you're including such as a third-party
control) then VS can really slow down. This also goes for any references to
an external assembly you have in your page. Also, sometimes switching to
code view of the aspx page (not the codebehind but the actual HTML markup)
you can do a Edit | Advanced | Format Document and it can sometimes throw an
error indicating where a problem such as an imbalanced tag or a server
control that is missing the runat attribute lies. You may want to copy the
HTML first before you have it format the tags because an error can sometimes
cause the formatting to work, but end up odd.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

Fwiw, the hot fix does fix the performance issue on my machine.

--

Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

[Shameless Author plug]