VS.NET: Best practices for visually designing DataList controls that will have programmatically load

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am wondering the best and easiest ways to use the VS.NETvisual designer
    with data controls that will will be loaded programmatically. For example, I
    have two datalist controls, one of which I'm populating from a ArrayList
    based off of the filesystem, and one which uses a dynamically built
    XmlDataSource.

    It is occassionally useful to see the semi-rendered view in the VS.NET
    designer.

    The hack I'm doing for now is to have a "junk" XML file based off the the
    schema that will eventually be dynamically generated, specify that XML file
    in the property field for the XmlDataSource in the VS.NET designer to get
    the visual display for the control, and remove that reference before
    deploying.

    What +doesn't+ work is to leave that reference to the junk XML/same schema
    in place in the visual designer, and then attempt to programmatically
    replace or overwrite the junk value with the programmatically generated
    information. I'm puzzled why not.

    Is there a better way to handle this then I am managing now?

    Thanks,
    -KF
    Guest, Jun 24, 2007