VS.NET has detected the WebServer is running ASP.NET version 1.0

Summit

Hi,

I have tried this and am still getting an error trying to open a ASp .NET
application in Visual Studio .NET.

I still get an error: "VS.NEt has detected the Web Server is running a
version 1.0 of ASp.NET"

I have Windows 2000 Pro, IIS 5.0 and .NET 1.1

I have tried almost every single thing on the internet i.e. regiis_aspnet
-i/r, regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll
Reinstalling IIS, .NET 1.1 etc. etc.

I also tried the dummy get_aspx_ver.aspx dummy page

Please help.. I am at the point of breaking down since I have been on this
for the past 4 days...

Also does anyone have any clue about IWAM_MACHINE and IUSR_MACHINE user
accounts created by IIS ?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

First, don't forget that your software comes with free support incidents.
Rather than losing any more days, I'd suggest calling Microsoft.

Now, let's see what might work...

You might have tried these, but just in case...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817267

and

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825792

Are you running ZoneAlarm? Turn it off.

Here's a suggestion that one user says worked for him...

"I worked under the "Safe Mode", uninstalled IIS, then under the normal mode
uninstalled the framework.
Then rebooted, Installed the IIS in normal mode, again rebooted and under
the normal mode installed the framework. Then rebooted and through the
"Internet Information Services" control bar, configured server extensions,
then rebooted and... wow...that was all!
Now it just works fine, but God! It really wasted my time (5 hours) just to
create an .aspx page."

Here's another user's solution:

"Resolution:

1) Delete the ASPNET account using Computer Management.

2) Recreate the ASPNET account by running: aspnet_regiis -I, from

C:\<winDir>\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 directory :

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open text box, type cmd, and then press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER:

"%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\version\aspnet_regiis.exe" -i

In this path, version represents the version number of the .NET Framework
that you installed on your server.

You must replace this placeholder with the actual version number when you
type the command. If you use Visual Studio 2003 and framework 1.1 it it
v1.1.4322

3) Restart IIS.

4) Now the ASPX pages should work fine and you also should be able to create
new ASP.NET web projects."

Please let us know what fixes it for you?

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Summit

Hi,

I have tried the second solution and that doesn't work either.

The first solution , I guess, is more for Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0 as
it talks about configuring "Server Extensions" and IIS 5.0 on Windows 2000
hasn't got that option.

Do you know a support number for Microsoft UK, who can help me out with this?

I guess MS didn't bother to test this properly beforer releasing the product..

cheers,
Sumit

Summit said:
Hi,

I have tried this and am still getting an error trying to open a ASp .NET
application in Visual Studio .NET.

I still get an error: "VS.NEt has detected the Web Server is running a
version 1.0 of ASp.NET"

I have Windows 2000 Pro, IIS 5.0 and .NET 1.1

I have tried almost every single thing on the internet i.e. regiis_aspnet
-i/r, regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll
Reinstalling IIS, .NET 1.1 etc. etc.

I also tried the dummy get_aspx_ver.aspx dummy page

Please help.. I am at the point of breaking down since I have been on this
for the past 4 days...

Also does anyone have any clue about IWAM_MACHINE and IUSR_MACHINE user
accounts created by IIS ?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Sumit,

While I understand your frustration, I wouldn't say the product is
untested... it has just encountered an unforeseen environment. I'm sure it
can be fixed.

You can get support numbers here:

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=United Kingdom

BTW, you shouldn't have to pay: "Unlimited installation support is available
by phone at no charge."

Ken

Summit said:
Hi,

I have tried this and am still getting an error trying to open a ASp
.NET
application in Visual Studio .NET.

I still get an error: "VS.NEt has detected the Web Server is running a
version 1.0 of ASp.NET"

I have Windows 2000 Pro, IIS 5.0 and .NET 1.1

I have tried almost every single thing on the internet i.e.
regiis_aspnet
-i/r, regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll
Reinstalling IIS, .NET 1.1 etc. etc.

I also tried the dummy get_aspx_ver.aspx dummy page

Please help.. I am at the point of breaking down since I have been on
this
for the past 4 days...

Also does anyone have any clue about IWAM_MACHINE and IUSR_MACHINE user
accounts created by IIS ?

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

0870 60 10 100

2 support requests online or over the phone are included at no charge
If you have already used your 2 no charge incidents for this product, your
request for support will be charged.
No Charge Frequently Asked Questions

Summit said:
Hi,

I have tried this and am still getting an error trying to open a ASp
.NET
application in Visual Studio .NET.

I still get an error: "VS.NEt has detected the Web Server is running a
version 1.0 of ASp.NET"

I have Windows 2000 Pro, IIS 5.0 and .NET 1.1

I have tried almost every single thing on the internet i.e.
regiis_aspnet
-i/r, regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll
Reinstalling IIS, .NET 1.1 etc. etc.

I also tried the dummy get_aspx_ver.aspx dummy page

Please help.. I am at the point of breaking down since I have been on
this
for the past 4 days...

Also does anyone have any clue about IWAM_MACHINE and IUSR_MACHINE user
accounts created by IIS ?

Summit

Thanks Ken,

Raised a case wit Microsoft and they were finally able to solve the problem.

The problem was a corrupt config file...

Ken Cox said:
[...]

Thanks for reporting back! Could you provide more detail as to what was
corrupted?