VS.NET not hitting asp.net breakpoints...

Weston Weems

I've got an error logging class I normally fire off from
catch portion of try/catch blocks.

The code fetches server statistics etc, and dumps them
into the database.

For debugging purposes, I am calling my errorlogging from
a basic breakpoint at the beginning of my app, and
breakpoints that I've set in the errorlogging class are
simply not being hit (however I know they are being
executed, as I use debug.write to write out stats to the
console).

Is there any reason that anyone can think of, that asp.net
would simply not break, when I know for a fact that the
line is being executed?

if I call a function from command window in debugger, does
vs.net ignore breakpoints it encounters down the road?

Craig

I've encountered this issue numerous times, and while I can't explain why
the following fix works, it does.

Find the dlls compiled by your application in your vswebcache folder, and
delete them. If you're developing your application on a remote server,
delete the copies of the dlls from the server as well. Recompile your
project in debug mode, and all is well.

HTH
Craig

Guest

No, I am definately not that stupid. I stated it'd would
hit the first breakpoint, and at that point in time, I
fired off a method from console, and subsequent
breakpoints wouldnt be hit after that.

Greg Burns

:^) Just covering the basics. Somebody posts this about once a week and 98%
of the time it is due to their active configuration mode.

I missed the fact that you were "calling a function" from the command window
while already in break mode. I assume you are in immediate mode when you do
this? A quick test confirms what you've found; it does not appear to stop
at any set breakpoints when executed in this way. I assume you would have
to attach a second debugger to the command window somehow for this to work.
Don't think it is possible.

Greg