    Any suggestions...I use this a lot in development.

    thanks!
    Kit

    K B, Jan 14, 2007

  2. K B

    Paul Guest

    It's not just me then - I'm not sure of why it happens but I had the same
    thing a few months ago! In the end I resorted to exporting all my Visual
    Studio environment settings (using the option under tools menu). I then
    reset the environment back to it's original settings (which brought back the
    search functionality). I then, selecting one item at a time, re-imported my
    settings until I found the one that broke the find window functionality
    (sorry, can't remember which one it was). I then reset (again) the
    environment to get find functionality back and re-imported the settings that
    were ok. Since then everything has been ok.

    Hope this helps,

    - Paul,

    Paul, Jan 15, 2007

  3. K B

    Chuck Guest

    VS2005 find function stopped working

    I just had the same thing happen. Thank goodness I found your posts, I was squirming thinking I'd have to system restore or reinstall. Something odd I noticed when exported of current settings: I decided to look first in the default folder it was going to export, and there was already a mystery file "CurrentSettings.vssettings", timestamped at about the moment my find function stopped working. I thought I might like to examine that suspicious file later, so I renamed it (to protect it from the upcoming export).

    Then the export/reset created 2 files of entirely different names. The export created "Exported-2007-03-21.vssettings". Then the reset dialog asked if it should save current settings before resetting, and created "CurrentSettings-2007-03-21.vssettings"

    So the manually dumped filenames contain the current date, and the mystery file with no date is an auto-dumped of settings. Apparently it dumped *after* the settings were hosed (I imported the autodump just to see, and yep the find-function was gone again). Another quick reset and all's well.

    The reset-settings fcn saved me a lot of grief. Once I get things back the way I want, I'll have to export & stash away my settings for when it happens again.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Chuck, Mar 21, 2007