VSS 2005 and VS 2003 question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Learner, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Learner

    Learner Guest

    Hi there,

    I have one another question on VSS 2005 and VS 2003.

    We had few projects built in VS 2003 and we had all of those projects
    under the VSS 6.0 until now. But as part of our development environment
    up gradation our idea is slowly move few projects from VSS 6.0 to VSS
    2005. As a test we did move an ASP.NET project that was built in VS
    2003 project (no solution file) from VSS 6.0 to VSS 2005 and the move
    was successfully (not directly but the same traditional process, chap
    off all the bindings from sln file and also the .vbproj file and the
    remaining source safe related files from the project root folder).

    Now my idea is to create a working folder for that project that's
    under new VSS 2005 and get the latest version of it and open it in VS
    2003. Like I said the project doesn't have a .sln file associated
    with the project. So when I try opening it by double clicking it on the
    ..vbproj and a dialog box popped up saying that the project will be
    converted to VS2005. I have attached a word document with the screen
    shots for better understanding.

    How do I prevent opening the projects in VS 2005 in my case? Have I
    done any thing wrong during the move from VSS 6.0 to VSS 2005?

    I also tried opening it up by right clicking on the .vbproj file and
    open it up in VS 2003 but its throwing an error , 'The project you are
    trying to open is a web project. You need to open it by specifying its
    URL path'.

    Any clue on this?

    Please advice.

    Note: I am not sure if this is the right place to post this kind of
    questions. If its not please help me with the group name where i could
    post it at.

    Thank You,

    -L
    Learner, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Learner

    Bruce Barker Guest

    its not vss. when vs2005 is installed, it mapped as the default application
    for project files. you need a vs2003 solution file to open the proj under
    vs2003 or you can start vs2003, and open the proj.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Feb 10, 2006

  3. Learner

    tdavisjr Guest

    Bruce Barker wrote:
    > its not vss. when vs2005 is installed, it mapped as the default application
    > for project files. you need a vs2003 solution file to open the proj under
    > vs2003 or you can start vs2003, and open the proj.

    This is not actually true. VS 2005 uses a intermediate program (Visual
    Studio Version Selector) to read the schema of the project or solution
    file. If the schema is in Visual Studio 8 format then it launches VS
    2005. However, if the schema is in Visual Studion 7.x then it launches
    VS.NET 2003.

    This works like this by default, however, if a VS 2005 beta version was
    installed and not correctly uninstalled, then you might experience this
    issue.

    tdavisjr, Feb 10, 2006
  4. Learner

    Learner Guest

    Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for the reply. I also did try both the ways by right clicking on
    the .vbproj and by File/open project no luck i am getting the same
    error

    'The project you are trying to open is a web project. You need to
    open it by specifying its
    URL path'.

    thanks
    -L
    Learner, Feb 10, 2006
  5. Learner

    eliza81

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Messages:
    12
    Open VS2005 project in VS2003

    we can open it 2003 just by changing 'Version' in .vcproj and here is how :

    1. Open .vcproj in wordpad.
    2. Change the Version from 8.00 to 7.10.
    3. Save it.

    And open it in 2003. It opens now.

    I observed that this technique works in most instances.

    Hope this would add some value.
    eliza81, Jun 1, 2010