W3C does not like embed

Discussion in 'HTML' started by 123Jim, Mar 18, 2010.

  1. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    123Jim, Mar 18, 2010

  2. 123Jim

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-03-18 18:44, 123Jim wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have this on my page:
    > <embed src="mymid.mid" autostart="false" repeat="false" loop="false"
    > height="15" width="200">I know this is deprecated ...

    EMBED is not deprecated: it was never in the HTML standards. As best
    as I remember, EMBED was one of Netscape's non-standard concoctions.

    C A Upsdell, Mar 18, 2010

  3. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:44:36 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

    > Hi all,
    > I have this on my page:
    > <embed src="mymid.mid" autostart="false" repeat="false" loop="false"
    > height="15" width="200">I know this is deprecated, but I had trouble using
    > the object tag as described here:
    > http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_browsersounds.aspHow do I write the
    > object tag for midi? .. and can I get rid of classid ?I know that the flash
    > satay method for embeding flash does not use
    > classid:http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay (bottom of page)

    <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15" width="200">
    <param value="mymid.mid">
    </object>

    try above.
    ;)

    --
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

    idle, Mar 18, 2010
  4. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "C A Upsdell" <> wrote in message
    > On 2010-03-18 18:44, 123Jim wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have this on my page:
    >> <embed src="mymid.mid" autostart="false" repeat="false" loop="false"
    >> height="15" width="200">I know this is deprecated ...

    > EMBED is not deprecated: it was never in the HTML standards. As best as
    > I remember, EMBED was one of Netscape's non-standard concoctions.

    Looks like it might make the standard for HTML 5:
    http://www.w3schools.com/html5/html5_reference.asp

    which is slightly confusing since it already works and has worked since the
    beginning of time in IE and Firefox, and probably most of the other
    browsers.

    123Jim, Mar 18, 2010
  5. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "idle" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:44:36 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have this on my page:
    >> <embed src="mymid.mid" autostart="false" repeat="false" loop="false"
    >> height="15" width="200">I know this is deprecated, but I had trouble
    >> using
    >> the object tag as described here:
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_browsersounds.aspHow do I write the
    >> object tag for midi? .. and can I get rid of classid ?I know that the
    >> flash
    >> satay method for embeding flash does not use
    >> classid:http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay (bottom of page)

    > <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15" width="200">
    > <param value="mymid.mid">
    > </object>
    >
    > try above.
    > ;)
    >
    > --
    > A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

    Tried it , unfortunately on my system it does not work. When opened in IE I
    get an infinite message about "Internet has restricted this web page ....."
    i click to allow it appears immediately again ...

    It just does not even appear in Firefox.
    By contrast the embed tag invokes QuickTime on my system (I believe)
    Below is the complete test page:

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <head>
    http-equiv="content-type">
    <title>testpage</title>
    </head>
    <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid"
    height="15" width="200"><param
    value="mymid.mid">
    </object><br>

    123Jim, Mar 18, 2010
  6. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:20:55 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

    > "idle" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:44:36 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I have this on my page:
    >>> <embed src="mymid.mid" autostart="false" repeat="false" loop="false"
    >>> height="15" width="200">I know this is deprecated, but I had trouble
    >>> using
    >>> the object tag as described here:
    >>> http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_browsersounds.aspHow do I write the
    >>> object tag for midi? .. and can I get rid of classid ?I know that the
    >>> flash
    >>> satay method for embeding flash does not use
    >>> classid:http://www.alistapart.com/articles/flashsatay (bottom of page)

    >> <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15" width="200">
    >> <param value="mymid.mid">
    >> </object>
    >>
    >> try above.
    >> ;)
    >>
    >> --
    >> A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

    > Tried it , unfortunately on my system it does not work. When opened in IE I
    > get an infinite message about "Internet has restricted this web page ....."
    > i click to allow it appears immediately again ...
    >
    > It just does not even appear in Firefox.
    > By contrast the embed tag invokes QuickTime on my system (I believe)
    > Below is the complete test page:
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    > <head>
    > http-equiv="content-type">
    > <title>testpage</title>
    > </head>
    > <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid"
    > height="15" width="200"><param
    > value="mymid.mid">
    > </object><br>

    Fiddle with it ;)
    http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-tag/en/

    --
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

    idle, Mar 18, 2010
  7. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "idle" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:20:55 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >
    >> "idle" <> wrote in message

    >>> <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15" width="200">
    >>> <param value="mymid.mid">
    >>> </object>
    >>>
    >>> try above.
    >>> ;)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

    >> Tried it , unfortunately on my system it does not work. When opened in IE
    >> get an infinite message about "Internet has restricted this web page
    >> ....."
    >> i click to allow it appears immediately again ...
    >>
    >> It just does not even appear in Firefox.
    >> By contrast the embed tag invokes QuickTime on my system (I believe)
    >> Below is the complete test page:
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    >> <head>
    >> http-equiv="content-type">
    >> <title>testpage</title>
    >> </head>
    >> <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid"
    >> height="15" width="200"><param
    >> value="mymid.mid">
    >> </object><br>

    > Fiddle with it ;)
    > http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-tag/en/

    Thanks for you replies ..
    I imagined there would be a very tried and tested method for midi as part
    of object though ...

    Embed just works as tested i IE 8, Chrome, Firefox ..... tempted to forget
    about it .. and pretend I am trail blazing for HTML 5 ;)

    123Jim, Mar 18, 2010
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "123Jim"
    <> writing in

    > "C A Upsdell" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2010-03-18 18:44, 123Jim wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I have this on my page:
    >>> <embed src="mymid.mid" autostart="false" repeat="false" loop="false"
    >>> height="15" width="200">I know this is deprecated ...

    >> EMBED is not deprecated: it was never in the HTML standards. As
    >> best as I remember, EMBED was one of Netscape's non-standard
    >> concoctions.
    >>

    > Looks like it might make the standard for HTML 5:
    > http://www.w3schools.com/html5/html5_reference.asp

    Please understand the w3schools.com is not associated with the W3, w3
    appears only in w3schools.com's name.

    Actually, embed is in a last call for comments status, so it has not
    made any standard. A last call for comments means it could go poof! at
    any minute.

    > which is slightly confusing since it already works and has worked
    > since the beginning of time in IE and Firefox, and probably most of
    > the other browsers.

    HTML5 makes some interesting changes to some elements, for example, the
    menu element is now redefined to be useful for toolbars and context
    menus (very nicely), where before it rendered the same as a UL list.

    See http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/interactive-elements.html#menus

    The point being that what works now may not work in the future, so I
    would not count on an element that did not exist in HTML4 to "work" the
    same as it's proprietary ancestor.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 19, 2010
  9. Adrienne Boswell wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "123Jim"
    > <> writing in
    >
    >> "C A Upsdell" <> wrote in message
    >>> EMBED is not deprecated: it was never in the HTML standards. As
    >>> best as I remember, EMBED was one of Netscape's non-standard
    >>> concoctions.
    >>>

    >> Looks like it might make the standard for HTML 5:
    >> http://www.w3schools.com/html5/html5_reference.asp

    > Please understand the w3schools.com is not associated with the W3, w3
    > appears only in w3schools.com's name.
    >
    > Actually, embed is in a last call for comments status, so it has not
    > made any standard. A last call for comments means it could go poof! at
    > any minute.

    It IS? Are they also proposing to include LAYER? I thought the whole
    point was that OBJECT is the means the W3 chose for embedding objects.
    What is the motivation for considering the (inferior) EMBED tag?

    Harlan Messinger, Mar 19, 2010
  10. 123Jim

    Gus Richter Guest

    On 3/18/2010 7:54 PM, 123Jim wrote:
    > "idle"<> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:20:55 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >>
    >>> "idle"<> wrote in message

    >>> Tried it , unfortunately on my system it does not work. When opened in IE
    >>> get an infinite message about "Internet has restricted this web page
    >>> ....."
    >>> i click to allow it appears immediately again ...
    >>>
    >>> It just does not even appear in Firefox.
    >>> By contrast the embed tag invokes QuickTime on my system (I believe)
    >>> Below is the complete test page:
    >>>
    >>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    >>> <head>
    >>> http-equiv="content-type">
    >>> <title>testpage</title>
    >>> </head>
    >>> <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid"
    >>> height="15" width="200"><param
    >>> value="mymid.mid">
    >>> </object><br>

    >> Fiddle with it ;)
    >> http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-tag/en/
    >>

    > Thanks for you replies ..
    > I imagined there would be a very tried and tested method for midi as part
    > of object though ...
    >
    > Embed just works as tested i IE 8, Chrome, Firefox ..... tempted to forget
    > about it .. and pretend I am trail blazing for HTML 5 ;)

    Exactly.
    Embed was never a W3C standard. It was Netscape proprietary, but ALL
    browsers support it. Because of this, it's going into HTML5 specs. In
    standards or not, it works in all browsers. So what if one item does not
    pass validation for HTML 4.01 at this time. There is a lot worse out
    there. Else use the HTML5 doctype.

    --
    Gus

    Gus Richter, Mar 19, 2010
  11. 123Jim

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > > Actually, embed is in a last call for comments status, so it has not
    > > made any standard. A last call for comments means it could go poof! at
    > > any minute.

    > It IS? Are they also proposing to include LAYER? I thought the whole
    > point was that OBJECT is the means the W3 chose for embedding objects.
    > What is the motivation for considering the (inferior) EMBED tag?

    Because even my pet frog knows about embed, but goes a croaky
    silence when I mention object...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 19, 2010
  12. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Harlan Messinger <> wrote:
    >
    >> Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    >>> Actually, embed is in a last call for comments status, so it has not
    >>> made any standard. A last call for comments means it could go poof! at
    >>> any minute.

    >> It IS? Are they also proposing to include LAYER? I thought the whole
    >> point was that OBJECT is the means the W3 chose for embedding objects.
    >> What is the motivation for considering the (inferior) EMBED tag?

    > Because even my pet frog knows about embed, but goes a croaky
    > silence when I mention object...

    HA! Everyone KNOWS about it because it's famous as the stupid thing you
    had to bother with for Netscape and for balky plug-ins whose
    manufacturers didn't bother to upgrade them for proper use with OBJECT.

    Harlan Messinger, Mar 19, 2010
  13. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    >>> It IS? Are they also proposing to include LAYER? I thought the whole
    >>> point was that OBJECT is the means the W3 chose for embedding objects.
    >>> What is the motivation for considering the (inferior) EMBED tag?

    >> Because even my pet frog knows about embed, but goes a croaky silence
    >> when I mention object...
    >>

    > HA! Everyone KNOWS about it because it's famous as the stupid thing you
    > had to bother with for Netscape and for balky plug-ins whose manufacturers
    > didn't bother to upgrade them for proper use with OBJECT.

    can I just interject here .. I *still* have *not* found the correct mark-up
    to enable midi with OBJECT. and that is despite consulting with the finest
    minds in web dev .... Meanwhile my simple EMBED mark-up is serving midi
    files to the world!

    123Jim, Mar 19, 2010
  14. 123Jim wrote:
    > "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> Because even my pet frog knows about embed, but goes a croaky silence
    >>> when I mention object...
    >>>

    >> HA! Everyone KNOWS about it because it's famous as the stupid thing you
    >> had to bother with for Netscape and for balky plug-ins whose manufacturers
    >> didn't bother to upgrade them for proper use with OBJECT.

    > can I just interject here .. I *still* have *not* found the correct mark-up
    > to enable midi with OBJECT. and that is despite consulting with the finest
    > minds in web dev .... Meanwhile my simple EMBED mark-up is serving midi
    > files to the world!

    Like I said: the manufacturer hasn't bothered to upgrade its MIDI
    plug-in, despite the many years it has had to do so. Certainly there is
    nothing magical about the letters E-M-B-E-D that allows MIDI files to
    work when a tag whose name is spelled with them is used to embed them.
    For W3C to now add EMBED to HTML5 is like a web designer in 2010 wasting
    his customers' money by making sure his pages look as good to people who
    haven't upgraded from Netscape 3 as they do to users of Firefox 3 or IE 8.

    Harlan Messinger, Mar 19, 2010
  15. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:53:09 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

    > "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> Because even my pet frog knows about embed, but goes a croaky silence
    >>> when I mention object...
    >>>

    >> HA! Everyone KNOWS about it because it's famous as the stupid thing you
    >> had to bother with for Netscape and for balky plug-ins whose manufacturers
    >> didn't bother to upgrade them for proper use with OBJECT.

    > can I just interject here .. I *still* have *not* found the correct mark-up
    > to enable midi with OBJECT. and that is despite consulting with the finest
    > minds in web dev .... Meanwhile my simple EMBED mark-up is serving midi
    > files to the world!

    <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15"
    width="200">
    <param name="src" value="mymid.mid">
    </object>

    strict. works. yawn.

    --
    Better living through chemistry.

    idle, Mar 19, 2010
  16. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "idle" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:53:09 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >
    >> "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message

    >>> HA! Everyone KNOWS about it because it's famous as the stupid thing you
    >>> had to bother with for Netscape and for balky plug-ins whose
    >>> manufacturers
    >>> didn't bother to upgrade them for proper use with OBJECT.

    >> can I just interject here .. I *still* have *not* found the correct
    >> mark-up
    >> to enable midi with OBJECT. and that is despite consulting with the
    >> finest
    >> minds in web dev .... Meanwhile my simple EMBED mark-up is serving midi
    >> files to the world!

    > <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15"
    > width="200">
    > <param name="src" value="mymid.mid">
    > </object>
    >
    > strict. works. yawn.
    >
    > --
    > Better living through chemistry.

    That works in Chrome!
    ..... but it does not work in Firefox or IE here.

    I expect midi to be handled by quicktime on this system, so I have tested my
    browsers here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/troubleshooting/
    For quicktime at least .. they are all fine .. chrome, firefox and IE8

    Which browsers are you testing?

    123Jim, Mar 19, 2010
  17. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:25:42 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

    > "idle" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:53:09 -0000, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:
    >>
    >>> "Harlan Messinger" <> wrote in message

    >>> can I just interject here .. I *still* have *not* found the correct
    >>> mark-up
    >>> to enable midi with OBJECT. and that is despite consulting with the
    >>> finest
    >>> minds in web dev .... Meanwhile my simple EMBED mark-up is serving midi
    >>> files to the world!

    >> <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15"
    >> width="200">
    >> <param name="src" value="mymid.mid">
    >> </object>
    >>
    >> strict. works. yawn.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Better living through chemistry.

    > That works in Chrome!
    > .... but it does not work in Firefox or IE here.
    >
    > I expect midi to be handled by quicktime on this system, so I have tested my
    > browsers here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/troubleshooting/
    > For quicktime at least .. they are all fine .. chrome, firefox and IE8
    >
    > Which browsers are you testing?

    Testing? Browsers?
    ;)
    That's valid code for the object.
    I'd think you'd fill in the valid param's to meet your needs.

    --
    Better living through chemistry.

    idle, Mar 19, 2010
  18. 123Jim

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > >> It IS? Are they also proposing to include LAYER? I thought the whole
    > >> point was that OBJECT is the means the W3 chose for embedding objects.
    > >> What is the motivation for considering the (inferior) EMBED tag?

    > > Because even my pet frog knows about embed, but goes a croaky
    > > silence when I mention object...
    > >

    > HA! Everyone KNOWS about it because it's famous as the stupid thing you
    > had to bother with for Netscape and for balky plug-ins whose
    > manufacturers didn't bother to upgrade them for proper use with OBJECT.

    Harlan, you can fight it and I am there in spirit with you. But
    we are up against one of the most powerful memes in the history
    of human culture. Every mention of it adds to its memic brownie
    points (a bit like Paris Hilton).

    One thing it has going for it is sheer intuitiveness, look at how
    the name identifies its function. People like this. "Object"
    indeed! What is that supposed to mean, cold heartless meaningless
    geeky thing, yuk. <g>

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Mar 19, 2010
  19. idle wrote:

    > <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15"
    > width="200">
    > <param name="src" value="mymid.mid">
    > </object>
    >
    > strict. works. yawn.

    Yep, on IE two things though:

    [1] height needs to be height="25" because WMP console is bigger than
    Quicktime. And [1](and this one would be a deal breaker for me *IF* I
    used IE) the damn MID auto starts. So you need to add:

    <param name="autostart" value="false">

    I would really *despise* stumbling upon the page to have SomeLousy.mid
    start blaring from my speakers. I would prefer the simpler and always
    reliable:

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 19, 2010
  20. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:07:50 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote in alt.html:

    > idle wrote:

    >> <object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15"
    >> width="200">
    >> <param name="src" value="mymid.mid">
    >> </object>
    >>
    >> strict. works. yawn.
    >>

    > Yep, on IE two things though:
    >
    > [1] height needs to be height="25" because WMP console is bigger than
    > Quicktime. And [1](and this one would be a deal breaker for me *IF* I
    > used IE) the damn MID auto starts. So you need to add:
    >
    > <param name="autostart" value="false">
    >
    > I would really *despise* stumbling upon the page to have SomeLousy.mid
    > start blaring from my speakers. I would prefer the simpler and always
    > reliable:

    oh yea.
    Which is why you give them just enough to hurt themselves ;) and hopefully
    they don't figure out how to inflict damage upon the rest of the internet.

    --
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

    idle, Mar 19, 2010