    Thanks
    --
    tani

    =?Utf-8?B?dGFuaQ==?=, Sep 25, 2007

  2. w3wp.exe is the ASP.Net process, so if it is indeed using a lot of CPU, it
    is the ASP.Net application that is causing it. However, this does not
    necessarily indicate by itself that there is a problem with the ASP.Net
    application. It is, of course, a service that may be serving many clients.
    The only real measure is to check the CPU usage against the amount of
    traffic being handled by the application.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP

    http://www.miradyne.net

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 25, 2007

  3. Hello tani,

    What u can do i just make a dump of the process when is 100% loaded and inpect
    the dump to understand what gone wrong

    ---
    WBR,

    t> Hello there,
    t>
    t> one of my servers is running windows 2003 and IIS 6.0. We have big
    t> performance issues on that server and I found out that a high CPU
    t> usage iniciated by w3wp.exe causes the problem. I couldn't find out
    t> what to do on the server itself. I think it must be the application
    t> runnig on IIS. Could a MVP please confirm that this is mostly
    t> something that i caused by an application. So that I can give it back
    t> to our developers.
    t>
    t> Thanks
    t>

    Michael Nemtsev, MVP, Sep 25, 2007
  4. Thank you for your quick answer.
    Which performance Counters would you recommend to find out how much traffic
    is handled by the application itself.

    Thanks again,
    --
    tani

    =?Utf-8?B?dGFuaQ==?=, Sep 25, 2007
  5. Thank you Michael,

    I am a real newbie : how do I do a dump and do i need to install anything on
    the server?

    I would prefer setting up some perfmon counters if possible.
    --
    tani

    =?Utf-8?B?dGFuaQ==?=, Sep 25, 2007
  6. Hello tani,

    I recommend u to read these 4 articles
    http://www.codeproject.com/debug/windbg_part1.asp

    ---
    WBR,

    t> Thank you Michael,
    t>
    t> I am a real newbie : how do I do a dump and do i need to install
    t> anything on the server?
    t>
    t> I would prefer setting up some perfmon counters if possible.
    t>
    t>

    Michael Nemtsev, MVP, Sep 25, 2007
  7. Thank you very much for your help.

    I found a shareware tool that creates statistics based on IIS logs.
    This is enough to pass the problem to our developers as it shows that the
    server has a high CPU Utilization without having a high amount of requests.

    =?Utf-8?B?dGFuaQ==?=, Sep 26, 2007
  8. Sorry about the delay. IIS (Web Service) performance counters can tell you
    how much traffic is coming to the site.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP

    http://www.miradyne.net

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 26, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?dGFuaQ==?=

    Anh Guest

    Hi All !
    I am having the same issue as Tani had.
    Is possible to use application pool and limit CPU and memory? I don't know
    much of application pool but seems that it can recycle worker processes if
    they are not in use.

    Thanks!

    Anh, Sep 30, 2008