WCF service install on 2003 fails using new ADMIN user but works as user ADMINISTRATOR

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Scott, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Attempting to install WCF service on stand alone 2003 server as a admin user
    (not administrator but user "WCF" i.e user added to local admin group). It
    fails with user error:

    The description for Event ID ( 11001 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be
    found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be
    able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
    Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
    Product: Host -- Error 1001. Error 1001. No mapping between account names
    and security IDs was done, (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).

    When i run the installation actually as the server local administrator the
    install works.

    When i examine machine local policy for any differences betweem
    administrator and WCF i cannot see any. WCF is a member of the local admin
    group only.

    WCF appears beside administrator under "Log on as a service" i.e this would
    have occur when i created the user.

    Any ideas ?

    Thank you.

    Scott, Nov 13, 2008

  2. Scott

    Scott Guest

    ok, got it working when i added my admin user WCF to "act as part of the
    OS" local secrity policy.

    So the question is, why did the ADMINISTTOR user installation work when the
    ADMINISTRATOR user does not appear in the policy "act as part of the OS" ?

    ..... and why did I need to add my addition WCF administrative user to this
    policy for its installation to work ?

    What is the difference between these 2 users names when they are part of the
    same user group ?

    Thanks for any advice.
    Scott

    Scott, Nov 13, 2008

  3. Administrator has God like rights to begin with. I am not sure which of
    these rights impicitly contains the ability to run a WCF service, but you
    can be suere there is one. I would imagine someone has this documented
    somewhere, if you are inclined to spend the time searching. Sorry i do not
    have a more firm answer. ;-)

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA