Win 2003 Server / IIS6 / Server Application Unavailable

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGFtb24gUm9iZXJ0cw==?=, May 17, 2005.

  1. Hi

    My dev server has started posting a Server Application Unavailable error for
    all of my asp.net web apps...

    Server Application Unavailable
    The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
    currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
    to retry your request.

    Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
    request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server.
    Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.

    When I check the event log as requested - I get the following event ...

    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be
    found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
    message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able
    to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and
    Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .NET
    Runtime version 1.1.4322.2032- Config parser error: Error parsing
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config
    Parser returned error 0x80070005.

    IIS will server up static & asp pages without any trouble. My
    machine.config file does not appear to have changed (i've windiff'd it
    against a back up copy) and this server is NOT a primary domain controller.

    Advice would be extremely well received beleive you me!

    Thanks

    Damon

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFtb24gUm9iZXJ0cw==?=, May 17, 2005

  2. Hi Damon,

    Welcome to ASP.NET newsgroup.
    From your description, on one of your Win2003 server, all the ASP.NET web
    applications are unable to get start, always return "Server Application
    Unabailable" error and the eventlog indicate that there is something
    incorrect within the machine.config, yes?

    Based on my experience, some former issues which have the similiar symptom
    were mostly caused by machine.config being corrupted or access permission
    of the asp.net's worker process identity not enough. So currently I think
    we can try the following things first:

    1. Running filemon on the server when try starting a certain ASP.NET web
    app to see whether there are any access failed error in filemon related to
    asp.net's config files. Also, we can switch the asp.net app pool's process
    identity to
    Local System and run it to see whether the error still occur.

    2. Though you've mentioned that you've try replacing the machine.config
    with a backup one, I still recommed that you try copy a new version from
    another healthy server which has the same environment if possible.

    If there're any other findings, please also feel free to post here. Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 17, 2005

  3. Hi Stephen

    Thanks for that. I used filemon, and true enough the (w3wp.exe via the)
    NETWORK SERVICE account is getting ACCESS DENIED on the machine.config file
    while attempting an OPEN request.

    What can I do to rectify this?

    Thanks

    Damon

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFtb24gUm9iZXJ0cw==?=, May 18, 2005
  4. Hi Damon,

    So there must be something incorrect with your machine, is there any big
    changes or accidents on your machine recently? Anyway, I think you can
    first grant the required permissions for that file to Network Service
    account to see what'll happen. If any new findings, please feel free to
    post here.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 18, 2005
  5. Hi Steven

    We gave the ASPNET account access to machine.config and the NETWORK SERVICE
    account appeared to be then added by default. ASP.NET web applications now
    function again.

    Very strange ... we can not isolate what could have happend on the server
    that would have forced the loss of privileges on machine.config. Are there
    any other locations that we should check for correct access/privileges - I'm
    concerned that we'll hit related issues during future development.

    Thanks for your help on this matter.

    Damon

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFtb24gUm9iZXJ0cw==?=, May 19, 2005
  6. Hi Damon,

    I did always see some other ones encountering the similiar problems and the
    cause are different from each other. But one common cause is some
    Anti-virus software or other 3rd party tools that corrupte the existing ACL
    of the asp.net's required resources such as machine.config file or the
    temporary folder. You can also have a check on this.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 19, 2005
  7. Hi Steven,

    I get same error but I do not get anything from event log. And I can not
    open or create .net project I get "'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error',
    received when attempting to create or open an ASP.NET application". I reload
    ..net visual studio many times. but I get some error.
    I did following step but it do not solve my problem also.
    1. iisreset /stop
    2. net user ASPNET /delete
    3. aspnet_regiis -i (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322)
    4. iisreset /start

    I checked iis setting I have application name created.

    Could you give me any other suggestion?

    Thanks for help;

    cms123

    =?Utf-8?B?Y21zMTIz?=, Jun 23, 2005