WCF Service Internet Scenario on localhost, staging, production en

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Bill Mild, Feb 5, 2009.

  1. Bill Mild

    Bill Mild Guest

    I just ready through Programming WCF Services by Juval Lowy, and maybe I
    started with too complex of a book. Basically, my scenario is setting up a
    WCF Service over the internet as part of an ASP.NET 3.5 website. But,
    specifically, I'm interesting in how people set up an infrastructure for
    testing on localhost machine, rolling to staging, and then rolling to
    production with these WCF Services as part of an ASP.NET 3.5 website.

    Do most people just set up 3 different endpoints in the same web.config?
    One for localhost (without an X509 certificate), another for staging (without
    an X509 certificate), another for production (this one WITH an X509
    certificate)? Or do people handle this programatically? I have code which
    checks by the machine name whether I am on localhost, staging, or production
    and then, my code uses the appropriate SQL connection string. I'm wondering
    if this approach is used by some and integrated with programatically setting
    the endpoint? I mean, I suppose this might be overkill. I suppose when you
    are on production, if I have one endpoint for each of the three environments,
    only the production endpoint will work. I just don't want to risk exposing
    an unencrypted endpoint on production. I'm concerned that I might be missing
    something from a security perspective.

    And I don't see this quesiton I am raising being raised anywhere on blogs or
    forums, which makes me wonder if and/or why my question is a stupid question?

    Thanks for any input from the community.

    Bill Mild
    Bill Mild, Feb 5, 2009