Web applets?...

Luis Miguel Huapaya

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the right forum for it, but since I know very
little about the subject, this is my best bet. I was wondering what is the
best technology to use to make a web applet that can:

- Browse your folder structure
- Write data to a folder
- Start an application that is local to the computer where the browser is
running.

Even though I know that most of our customers will use IE, we need a
technology that will also work on Firefox and Netscape.

If you know of any good online reference materials, etc... or just have a
really good answer, please let me know. Thanks to all for your patience !

cheers,
Luis

Mark Schupp

You may get better response from a client-side group. From your requirements
you will probably have to use a signed Java Applet. This will support the
Mozilla and Firefox browsers as well as IE but all systems will need a Java
Runtime Environment installed. Windows no longer includes one so it will
have to be downloaded.

To run on IE without the JRE you will have to use an ActiveX component or a
..NET Browser Control (also digitally signed).

It may be possible to use client scripting without a component (in IE at
least) but you will need to check a client-side scripting reference or
newsgroup about that.