    What have I missed?
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    =?Utf-8?B?RHVrZSAoQU4yNDcp?=, Aug 31, 2007

  2. Hi Andrew,

    From your description, you're using vs 2005/ASP.NET web deployment project
    to precompile the web site project and wonder how to use the "section
    replacement" feature and avoid letting the separate config section file be
    copied to the compiled output folder, right?

    Based on my research, the "section replacement" feature of WDP does support
    you to supply a full qualified path instead a relative path(just simply the
    filename). For example, you can use the following line to supply a separate
    config file(in an external folder) in the WDP's section replacement setting
    dialog:

    system.web/pages=e:\temp\mypages.config;
    <<<<<<<

    Thus, at runtime, the WDP will pickup the configuration setting from that
    file (in the external dir) and replace the certain section with the content
    in that file. Also, after the precompilation, that separate file (in
    external folder) will not be copiled to the application's precompile output
    directory. I've tested it on my local environment and it works well.

    You can try it to see whether it fits your requirement and feel free to let
    me know if you need any further help/

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    --------------------

    >From: =?Utf-8?B?RHVrZSAoQU4yNDcp?= <>
    >Subject: Web deployment project - config section replacement files
    >Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 01:20:00 -0700

    >I've added a web deployment project and want to use the config section
    >replacement but I'm obviously not understanding something.
    >
    >I have set up an alternate appSettings file, test.appSettings.config, and
    >when I build the appSettings are correctly overridden, but I also end up

    with
    >a copy of test.appSettings.config in my web site. If I have config

    sections
    >for several environments they all get copied.
    >
    >How do I stop the copy? I wondered if the file should be located within

    the

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Sep 3, 2007

  3. Thanks Steven,

    I wanted to avoid a fully qualified path so I modified the wdproj file to
    copy the external config file in from a relative path before the build, and
    then delete the extra file after the build.

    Cheers,
    Andrew
    =?Utf-8?B?RHVrZSAoQU4yNDcp?=, Sep 3, 2007
  4. Thanks for your quick reply Andrew,

    Yes, using post-build/pre-build events is a thorough solution as you can
    freely do many custom tasks there. I haven't mentioned it eariler in case
    you may look for a more direct and simple approach :)

    Anyway, glad that you've find a workable approach, if you meet any new
    problem need help, please feel free to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    >From: =?Utf-8?B?RHVrZSAoQU4yNDcp?= <>