Web Deployment Project

Guest

Hi All,
I'm putting together my first web deployment project using VS2003 and have
a few questions someone might be able to help on.

First, I need to modify the web.config file based on entries made during
the installation from one of the TextBoxes dialogs. Is this possible? If
so, can someone point me in the direction of some doc or samples for this?

Second, is it possible to return errors from a custom action back to the
installer such that it causes the install to abort? or better still - can
control be redirected back to one of the textbox dialogs? (This would be as
a result of validation occuring on the entry and failing.)

Any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Jim

David Lloyd

Jim:

Here is an MSDN reference related to your second question.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...o7/html/vxconerrorhandlingincustomactions.asp

--
David Lloyd
MCSD .NET

This response is supplied "as is" without any representations or warranties.

Hi All,
I'm putting together my first web deployment project using VS2003 and have
a few questions someone might be able to help on.

First, I need to modify the web.config file based on entries made during
the installation from one of the TextBoxes dialogs. Is this possible? If
so, can someone point me in the direction of some doc or samples for this?

Second, is it possible to return errors from a custom action back to the
installer such that it causes the install to abort? or better still - can
control be redirected back to one of the textbox dialogs? (This would be as
a result of validation occuring on the entry and failing.)

Any suggestion or help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Jim

Guest

Thanks David.

I thought I'd seen that article before, but hadn't found it again.

Any ideas on the first question from you or others?

Regards,

Jim

Guest

All:
I thought I'd post the resolution of the first question I asked in case
anyone was looking for an answer to a similar question.

I found the answer in the Visual Studio Walkthrough for "Passing Data to a
Custom Action" under Deployment Walkthoughs. The example in this walkthrough
discusses modification of an XML file, although the technique should work for
any type of file modification that needs to be done.

I originally had a concern that the file I wanted to modify as a part of
installation would not be in place at the time the modification was done, but
this proved unfounded. The custom action logic is executed after the
ihstallation steps specified in the deployment project are complete.

Thanks again to David for the original reference.

- Jim