Web Deployment

Dave Rettberg

I am attempting to deploy my ASP.NET app to a web server.
I had deployed it once, but realized I hadn't included the
source files in the setup. I uninstalled it from the
server, rebuilt my setup with the source files and re-
installed it on the server. During the installation, I
now get the following error message:

"The specified path 'http://servername/website' is
unavailable. The Internet Information Server might not be
running or the path exists and is redirected to another
machine. Please check the status of this virtual
directory in the Internet Services Manager."

I am logged into the server with administrative
privileges, IIS is running, and the target directory does
not exist on the web server. I have also run windows
installer with the log option and the log file shows these
errors:

MSI (c) (BC:78): Doing action: WelcomeForm
Action start 12:59:29: WelcomeForm.
Info 2898. VSI_MS_Sans_Serif13.0_0_0, MS Sans Serif, 0
DEBUG: Error 2826: Control Line1 on dialog WelcomeForm
extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right
by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error
installing this package. This may indicate a problem with
this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are:
WelcomeForm, Line1, to the right
DEBUG: Error 2826: Control Line2 on dialog WelcomeForm
extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right
by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error
installing this package. This may indicate a problem with
this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are:
WelcomeForm, Line2, to the right

These errors continue, but they tell me absolutely nothing.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Rettberg, MCSD
Professional Consultants, Inc.

David Guyer [MS]

Those errors you saw are minor and don't affect your install. They are just
UI issues.

You might check IIS Manager to see if it looks like the virtual directory
is still there. One fix for that machine would probably be to install to a
different Virtual Directory name. It sounds like something in the metabase
is confused.