Web Methods & SOAP Exceptions

Martin Maat [EBL]

Hi.

About a year ago I did a talk on .NET at work. The talk included a demo
featuring a web service running on my machine at home. I had it calculate
some numbers, return a document, spit up some pretty HTML and throw an
exception on the server that bubbled nicely into the demo room as a SOAP
message. Needless to say I was "The Dude" that day (at least to those who
had a clue of what was going on).

The web service was hosted by IIS 5 and the framework version may have been
1.0. I had plugged the service into my web site to get it up quickly. Since
my site has moved to Windows Server 2003 and the framework was updated to
1.1. I had not checked on my demo web service for some time and today I
found it not working anymore. Most of the problems were because of new
policies (everything off and safe by default) and could be easily fixed. Yhe
one thing that remains is the exception, I do not get the SOAP response to
the server side exception any more. I get a generic error 500 on the client
where I used to get a SOAP exception.

The original threw a WebException. Having read a bit on the matter I thought
this may not be appropriate so I tried a basic Exception and a SoapException
but neither results in the wanted SOAP response. What is wrong?

Martin.