    I'm mainly interested in having simple pages render in Internet Explorer
    on our PCs and on blackberries but it would be great if it also was able
    to be accessed on other devices like Palm products or even just cell phones.
    cj2, Jul 18, 2008

  2. cj2

    Munna Guest

    Hi,

    "Is this what I'm looking for? http://www.asp.net/mobile/ "
    asp.net mobile extention of asp.net is a separate set of controls and
    framework specialty design for mobile
    even vs2008 by default don't have the project and item template in
    side asp.net item template...
    but you can download and install these templates from here
    from http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/a...bile-development-with-visual-studio-2008.aspx

    Best of luck

    -------
    Munna

    www.munna.shatkotha.com/blog
    www.munna.shatkotha.com
    www.shatkotha.com
    Munna, Jul 19, 2008

  3. Hi Cj,

    As for ASP.NET Mobile Web application development, the information you
    found on the following site are most for old ASP.NET 1.x mobile web app dev:

    http://www.asp.net/mobile/

    I've ever recieved from questions about Mobile web application development
    from some other customers. Based on some discussion with the development
    team, I think currently, for server-side web application development,
    there will not produce any more Mobile specific/dedicated packages(like the
    original Mobile internet controls...). This is because these days, more and
    more smart device is supporting html/xhtml well and the original WAP only
    device is no longer the situation. Also, from ASP.NET 2.0, page/control is
    providing an adaptable model, that means you can write control adapter for
    different target device(html, wap or ....). That also makes it less useful
    to provide a mobile only control collecction.

    In addition, currently, it is more encouraged to develop smart client
    application (rich client) for smart device instead of web application(since
    ASPX page is good enough for web application).

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jul 21, 2008
  4. cj2

    cj2 Guest

    Thanks

    cj2, Jul 22, 2008
  5. Hi Steven,

    Just as cj2 I was also a bit confused about the state of mobile web
    development with asp.net 2.0. I also found the outdated web page.

    However, there's also up to date information on MSDN regarding mobile
    controls, i.e. the System.Web.Mobile namespace:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.mobile.aspx

    Furthermore, if you create a website in Visual Studio 2005 it
    automaticall adds Mobile Web Forms to your toolbox and you can add
    Mobile specific items to the project. Is this deprecated or still
    relevant?

    Or maybe in other words. If I want to build for newer mobile devices
    (e.g. Windows Mobile 5/6, Blackberry, iPhone), can I just work with
    the standard asp.net controls and don't worry about the specific
    mobile controls?

    Thanks,

    --
    Jeffry van de Vuurst
    CWR Mobility BV

    CWR Mobile CRM for Dynamics CRM 3 and 4, now available for CRM Online!

    Jeffry van de Vuurst, Jul 24, 2008
  6. cj2

    cj2 Guest

    I took it from Steven's reply that those higher end phones like
    blackberries and phones of the near future are made to show normal web
    sites. I haven't gotten my blackberry yet so I really have to wonder
    how well it'll show a web site. I don't know what is being done these
    days but as more people in the company get blackberries and after hours
    support and notification of system problems continues to be a major
    concern I can see where a web app that could be accessed from the phone
    would be great for managing things on the go.

    Steven are we right--just use standard asp.net controls?

    cj2, Jul 25, 2008
  7. Hi Cj and Jeffry,

    Sure, you can build a standard ASP.NET web application for your mobile
    devices. The important point is that you need to verify your potential
    client devices and ensure they support html/xhtml. If that's not a problem,
    ASP.NET standard website works pretty well(the default html adapter).

    Actually, even for non-html devices, you cannot extend those standard
    ASP.NET control via the control adapters:

    #Extreme ASP.NET Control Adapters

    http://www.ddj.com/web-development/201202758

    you can create different adapters for standard ASP.NET controls so that
    they'll output different kind of markup depend on the client device. Also,
    the original mobile control's source code has been opened for this so that
    the developers can refer to how to implement such adapter:

    #ASP.NET Mobile Controls XHTML Adapter Source
    http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9642963F-7C8D-4B26-
    A440-400E03CED4CB&displaylang=en

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Jul 28, 2008
  8. cj2