    What sort of security and/or open source libraries can be used?

    Thanks,
    Jimmy
    Jimmy, Jul 3, 2008

  2. Jimmy

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Jimmy wrote:

    > Is it possible to build web site using HTML (with Javascript) which
    > can be viewed/rendered properly on both handheld devices and desktop
    > browsers?

    Firstly, cljp is not the right place to ask about this. Try a technical
    phone group, or possibly a web forum - i think there are some associated
    with various mobile technology standards groups etc.

    Anyway, i think phones today deal with standard HTML pretty well.
    Smartphones, the ones with big screens, have proper web browsers. Even
    not-so-smart phones make a good effort - my Sony-Ericsson Z610i handles
    pretty much anything i can find, although few websites are much use with
    such a tiny screen.

    I notice, on reading up on this, that there are a couple of profiles of
    XHTML that may be of interest: XHTML Basic, a stripped-down version that
    should be better-supported on small devices, and XHTML Mobile, which is
    Basic with some extra bells and whistles. There's also a javascript mobile
    profile (well, ECMAscript - you know how it is).

    > Really don't want to maintain 2 different pages (in both WML and HTML)
    > with the same content.

    You could probably do something clever with XSLT that would let you write
    once, then translate into WML or XHTML on the fly. Or even without XSLT -
    define a sort of SAXish or DOMish interface for specifying pages, and
    write implementations that make WML or XHTML. Write your app on top of the
    interface, not the language.

    > Also, this question may be a bit broad ... can anyone give me pointers/
    > concepts on how to process credit card info over a mobile connection?
    > What sort of security and/or open source libraries can be used?

    Not a clue! Don't know if this is any use:

    https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_mobile-checkout.html

    tom

    --
    SAWING CHASING CRUNCHING ROBOTIC DEMOLITION
    Tom Anderson, Jul 3, 2008

  3. Jimmy

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Tom Anderson wrote:

    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Jimmy wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to build web site using HTML (with Javascript) which
    >> can be viewed/rendered properly on both handheld devices and desktop
    >> browsers?

    > I notice, on reading up on this, that there are a couple of profiles of XHTML
    > that may be of interest: XHTML Basic, a stripped-down version that should be
    > better-supported on small devices, and XHTML Mobile, which is Basic with some
    > extra bells and whistles. There's also a javascript mobile profile (well,
    > ECMAscript - you know how it is).

    Here's a nice article:

    http://www.littlespringsdesign.com/resources/articles/xhtmlinfo/

    tom

    --
    SAWING CHASING CRUNCHING ROBOTIC DEMOLITION
    Tom Anderson, Jul 3, 2008
  4. "Tom Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Jimmy wrote:

    [ SNIP ]
    >> Really don't want to maintain 2 different pages (in both WML and HTML)
    >> with the same content.

    > You could probably do something clever with XSLT that would let you write
    > once, then translate into WML or XHTML on the fly. Or even without XSLT -
    > define a sort of SAXish or DOMish interface for specifying pages, and
    > write implementations that make WML or XHTML. Write your app on top of the
    > interface, not the language.

    [ SNIP ]

    From a technical standpoint, using XSLT to transform base XML into HTML or
    WML is easy enough (one place I worked at we did exactly this, plus HDML).
    What the actual sticking point is, is display footprint. How much you show
    on any given cellphone screen is different than what you show on a PDA
    screen is different than what you show on a laptop or desktop display. So
    when one considers different navigation, plus you're also possibly using
    WMLScript in one situation or JavaScript in others, and CSS in some cases
    but not in others, my personal opinion is that it is better (read easier) to
    maintain separate XHTML and WML.

    What _can_ be common is the textual content, leastways most of it: messages,
    labels etc. That can be external entities in one place.

    I consider the above approach to be more maintainable.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Jul 4, 2008