Why do you need mobile web applications?

Marc

I am reading some stuff in self paced course 728 about mobile applications.

But the first thing that comes into my mind is, why do I need to build
special server side code, if the browser happens to be a mobile device?
Cannot mobile browsers access normal websites? Should I copy almost a whole
server side application/website to a mobile device website, and double
maintain all changes in my web applications if I want to reach both mobile
devices and normal browsers?

George Ter-Saakov

Have you looked at normal website with the phone?
If you have you would know why.
Plus at this point none of the phone browsers have full support for
JavaScript. Even iPhone.

George.

Marc

George Ter-Saakov said:
Have you looked at normal website with the phone?
If you have you would know why.

No I have not. I do not have a mobile browser phone. But I understand then
that a non specifically mobile site is hard to browse with a phone. I also
wonder how this is solved in other enviroments like JSP. And how the double
maintenance should be managed.

But in the future may-be server tools would be better, and more able to
serve a special mobile browser and the 'double' websites should merge?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Marc said:
I am reading some stuff in self paced course 728 about mobile applications.

But the first thing that comes into my mind is, why do I need to build
special server side code, if the browser happens to be a mobile device?

Because the mobile user only has 320 x 240 pixels to work with in most
instances. Your site is generally designed much larger than this. In
addition, the IE mobile browser is not as full featured as the desktop
browser, so certain things do not translate.

If you do not design differently, you can also end up with controls that do
not work. I can show you some examples, if you need one.
Cannot mobile browsers access normal websites?

Yes. I do it all of the time. When they are not designed for mobile, they
generally suck.
Should I copy almost a whole server side application/website to a mobile
device website, and double maintain all changes in my web applications if I
want to reach both mobile devices and normal browsers?

Depending on the design, it may be as simple as changing CSS. With certain
technology, esp. the newer, you will have to create dual sites. If you site
is largely informational, consider avoiding new technology.

BTW, this is really no different than the requirement you have to create a
standard site when you create a Silverlight site.

George Ter-Saakov

The biggest problem is resolution. Phones have tiny screens and what looks
good in regular monitor is barely acceptable on phone screens.

So mostly applications have 2 different presentational levels. One for
normal monitors and one for phones.
It as you have 2 totally different applications so you will need to double
it.

The business logic suppose to be the same so there is no need to duplicate
it. May be "bend" a little since different presentation often has different
workflow.

George.

Marc

George Ter-Saakov said:
The business logic suppose to be the same so there is no need to duplicate
it. May be "bend" a little since different presentation often has
different workflow.

Ah yes, clear!

Marc

George Ter-Saakov said:
The business logic suppose to be the same so there is no need to duplicate
it. May be "bend" a little since different presentation often has
different workflow.

Ah yes, clear! That makes more sense, making a seperate presentation layer,
not a whole seperate application. So I would expect a special mobile layer
inside the existing application, not a seperate application. Instead, and it
is just the first thing I read about mobile webapps, the lesson starts
explaining how to create a seperate mobile web-app. And my first thought is,
hey I cannot imagine building a seperate application for a special browser
is good design....et cetera.