Web Project Setup Virtual Directory Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sheridans@gmail.com, Jun 23, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have setup a Web Setup Project to my Solution by going to Add New
    Project => Setup and Deployment => Web Setup Project. Everything
    builds correctly and I get a working Setup.exe and .msi file. The
    install process runs exactly as expected and all of my files are placed
    into whatever directory I specified.

    Then I open IE, point it to my new website and get this error:

    "Configuration Error
    file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
    details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

    Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'xmlns'.

    Source Error:

    Line 6: machine.config.comments usually located in
    Line 7: \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config
    Line 8: --><configuration
    xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
    Line 9: <!--
    Line 10: The configSections define a section for ASP.NET Atlas.

    Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Deploy\web.config Line: 8 "

    Now, I figured out what the problem was pretty quickly. Going into IIS
    I opened the properties of the new Virtual Directory Setup.exe had
    created, went to the ASP.NET tab, and (as I suspected) found that the
    ASP.NET Version was set to 1.1. I changed it to 2.0 and everything
    worked exactly as it should.

    So, here is my question... how do I fix this in the installer? I want
    to send a Setup.exe file to a client and tell them, "Just run this."
    not "Just run this, then open IIS..."

    Thanks in Advance
    Sheridan

    , Jun 23, 2006