'web service call failed: 500' using ajax hovermenu and web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Not Me, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Hi there,

    I'm using a hovermenuextender attached to a templatefield of a
    gridview, and everything seemed to work fine.. however I've moved on
    to add dynamic attributes to the hovermenu. Now I get the error "web
    service call failed: 500" in place of the output I want (on the
    hovermenu's panel).

    When accessing the web service I created (directly through the
    browser) everything works fine..

    here's my hovermenuextender dynamic attributes

    DynamicContextKey='<%=eval("refnumber") %>'
    DynamicServiceMethod="GetSearchDetails"
    DynamicServicePath="Services.asmx"
    DynamicControlID="lbdynamiccontent"

    I'm guessing the path or method may be incorrect? I've put
    services.asmx in the root folder and services.vb was slipped into the
    app_code directory.

    The other problem would be with the contextkey, but debugging info
    within the webservice never gets thrown (it does when I run the
    service directly through the browser) so would a funny parameter do
    that?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! I also saw error 12030 instead
    of 500 crop up, but that seems to have gone (!!!)

    cheers,
    Chris

    Not Me, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    On 5 Jun, 12:53, Not Me <> wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm using a hovermenuextender attached to a templatefield of a
    > gridview, and everything seemed to work fine.. however I've moved on
    > to add dynamic attributes to the hovermenu. Now I get the error "web
    > service call failed: 500" in place of the output I want (on the
    > hovermenu's panel).

    Aha, I realised the helloworld service worked fine.. it was just
    anything I created with parameters.. I had my service set up as

    Public Function getSearchDetails(ByVal refno As String) As String

    so changed this to

    Public Function getSearchDetails(ByVal contextKey As String) As String

    and all is well!

    hope that it useful to any googler's out there.

    cheers,
    Chris

    Not Me, Jun 5, 2007