Web Service Location Question

Michael C#

I recently wrote a basic web service, and I am writing a client app consume
it. Here's the trick - I want the client to be able to request the web
service without knowing exactly where it is. Specifically I want the client
to send a request on the local network, and have the web service respond
with it's location. For instance, I might have the web service on
"WebServer1". The client would send out a request on the local network, and
the web service would respond with it's location (in this instance
WebServer1). If, later, I moved the web service to WebServer2, the client
would be able to locate it by sending another request. The client would
then consume the web service. Is there a way to do this? Or does the
client always have to know in advance where the web service is located in
order to use it?

Thanks,
Michael C

Michael C#

Thanks DalePres. I'm trying to figure out the best way to package and
distribute a web service. I suppose if you're asking a client to install
and configure IIS on their local network, you might as well ask them to go
the extra step and install/configure a UDDI server as well. It seems Web
Services are designed to be easier to access from pre-configured centralized
global repositories. I guess for local stuff I need to find a more
localized solution.

Thanks,
Michael C