Web service sessions never go away after timeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Joseph Crum, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. Joseph Crum

    Joseph Crum Guest

    I have a problem with an intranet web service (that I developed using VS.NET
    2003) which under some conditions causes the service to hang, resulting in
    timeouts (the exception text says "The operation has timed-out"). The
    primary consumer of this web service is a Windows Service which tries to
    access the Web Service every 2 minutes. When the web service stops
    responding, the sessions created by the Windows Service never seem to go
    away. That is, in Perfmon, the "Current Anonymous Users" item of the "Web
    Service" object on that machine increases by 1 every 2 minutes. I'm running
    IIS 5.0 on W2K Pro (with all current service packs and patches), which is
    limited to 10 connections, so after about 10 timeouts, the Windows Service
    app starts receiving a new error, "The request failed with HTTP status 403:
    Access Forbidden". A little more research reveals that it's error "403.9 -
    Access Forbidden: Too many users are connected".

    I have tried disabling HTTP Keep-alives, with no effect.

    I need to address the web service hang-up, but first I would like to correct
    this issue of orphaned user sessions. Any suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Joe
    jrcrum<no spam>@solutia.com

    Joseph Crum, Nov 11, 2003