    my web service in COM+...?

    Thanks!!!

    Dan
    alien2_51, Oct 1, 2003

  2. alien2_51 wrote:
    > I have a collection of related data access members that provide data
    > manipulation capabilities to a business object. Each business object
    > has its own web service that exposes methods for finding, loading and
    > saving data back to the datasource. Inside the save method I use an
    > ADO.NET connection and transaction controller class for managing the
    > ADO.NET transaction. What I would like to do is be able to control
    > the transaction from the business object which is up/out another
    > layer, I want to be able to create another business object that
    > encapsulates other existing business objects using the same
    > architecture and use COM+ to control the transaction. Is this
    > possible....??? What are the steps to set this up...? Do I have to
    > register my web service in COM+...?

    AFAIK, WSs do not support transaction. So you are right that your tx must be
    controlled by a single root component. This component has to create a tx and
    the other components, called from that one, has to enlist into that tx. One
    can achieve this by making these components com+ components.

    P.S. you cannot register a WS in COM+. But you can make a COM+ app to a WS
    by a single click (needs COM+ 1.5).
    Steffen Ramlow, Oct 2, 2003

  3. alien2_51

    alien2_51 Guest

    So if I'm understanding you correctly something like this would not work....
    Particularly this line...
    <Transaction(TransactionOption.Supported), _

    Imports System

    Imports System.Data

    Imports System.Data.SqlClient

    Imports System.Web.Services

    Imports MNCAppServices

    Imports MNCDALLibrary

    Imports System.EnterpriseServices

    <Transaction(TransactionOption.Supported), _

    System.Web.Services.WebService(Namespace:="http://tempuri.org/MNCBDOService/
    CustomerContact")> _

    Public Class CustomerContact

    Inherits System.Web.Services.WebService

    My CustomerContact business object is built around a dataset, in my dataset
    I have Contacts, Attachments, Memos,Complaints all seperate data entities
    represented as datatables. My web service is interested in finding entites,
    reconciling it back to the datasource using my datalayer, no business rules
    at this layer, another object communicates with the web service has methods
    for acting on its local data cache and makes calls to its web service to
    find, load and save data... What I would like to do is create another object
    that may use one or more of these business object and wrap it all in one
    transaction using a ServiceComponent... Is using a web service the right way
    to go in this scenerio...? Based on your response I'm thinking not... Is the
    alternative to this to use remoting rather than the web service layer....?

    Thanks,

    Dan

    alien2_51, Oct 2, 2003