web services thread choking app server

Eqbal

Hi,

We consume a web service using axis 1.1. Whenever the webservice goes
down or is slow to respond, it appears like our appservers keep
creating new threads for subsequent requests and the web service client
thread is never released as the service is not responding. This causes
the web container to run out of threads (there is a max no of threads
specified). This not only blocks everything from the appserver, but
even our webserver stops responding to static file requests.

Any idea what I can do to make my client more robust, so it does not
let the threads get locked for a long period of time. Is there any way
to implement timeouts with axis/connection pooling, so only a set no of
threads are ever used for the web service.