Web Setup Project w/ Custom Action

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Nov 17, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have created a web setup project for my ASP.NET
    application that works fine. Also, I have followed the
    instructions for using a custom action to launch a web
    page after the installation is complete. This works great
    too, for web pages not associated with my new application.

    I would like to launch a web page that is part of the
    application that was just installed. The sample in MSDN
    shows using the following syntax:

    Process.Start("http://www.microsoft.com/")

    Instead, I'd like to do use something like:

    Process.Start("http://localhost/myapp/Default.aspx")

    This page will include information about how to use the
    application, as well as some links for specific pages
    within the application. I'd use a "Readme" user interface
    element, but it uses RTF, and I wouldn't be able to
    include the hyperlinks (as far as I can tell).

    I haven't been able to figure out how to retrieve the
    virtual directory that my application was just installed
    in, so that I can properly reference my page in the custom
    action code. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    A. Lovhaug
    Guest, Nov 17, 2003

  2. A. Lovhaug,

    I don't know if this helps you, but a Web Setup project uses a custom
    property called TARGETVDIR to refer to the virtual directory for the
    project. If you want to replace that with your example, I would try the
    following:

    http://localhost/[TARGETVDIR]/Default.aspx

    I'm not a setup engineer so I can be sure if this will work, but I'm sure
    that the property is correct.

    Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    Developer Support
    ASP.NET

    --------------------

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Nov 17, 2003

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for the response. Yes, I have even seen another
    post or two regarding this custom property. However,
    using this value with Process.Start:

    Process.Start("http://localhost/[TARGETVDIR]/Default.aspx")

    doesn't seem to work. It does not substitute the virtual
    folder name for [TARGETVDIR].

    The example I used for launching a web page at the end of
    an installation is located MSDN, and is
    called "Walkthrough: Creating a Custom Action". Since in
    this example, a simple Windows application is created (not
    an Installer class),

    I suspect the Windows Application doesn't even know about
    the virtual directory, which is why the substitution
    doesn't work. I believe I need to pass the value of
    [TARGETVDIR] into my Windows application (possibly as a
    command line argument), but I guess I'm not sure how I
    would go about doing that. I'm less worried about
    retrieving the value once it is passed in, but I'm not
    sure where to retrieve the value and send it to my
    application in the first place.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    A. Lovhaug

    confers no rights.

    Guest, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Lovhaug,

    You might want to try posting in the msi group to see if they have any
    ideas.

    Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    Developer Support
    ASP.NET