Web User Control Events vs. Controls Content

Donald Welker

I have a textbox embedded in a DataGrid which in turn is part of a web user
control.
I want to save any changes made to the text on postback. This works fine if
I inspect and update the dataset in response to a control event fired from
the web user control (such as a linkbutton) but Bad Things happen if the
postback is triggered by some other control (such as a Submit button on the
parent page) -- the textbox control is located but the system evaluates its
text as an empty string! Thus in my test case the entire set of items is
updated to blank values and the dataset is happily saved to the table :-( I
don't want to restrict the updates to only happening in response to a local
control, so how do I cause an event to fire in the proper context (or is this
perhaps a naming/id issue?)