WebDav, Translate: f, ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SimpleSimple, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. SimpleSimple

    SimpleSimple Guest

    My company has an IIS 5, ASP.net intranet site that contains documents
    for employee use. The files are of various types (most often Office)
    and are stored in blob fields in a SQL2000 database. The
    organizational structure of the files is virtual and is managed by the
    database.

    We find it clunky that in order to manage these documents, the user
    must download the document, make changes, save the file locally and
    reupload via a web form interface. We would prefer that the user open
    and save these files via WebDav. Put another way, we would like to
    provide functionality, by way of a custom WebDav handler, so that a
    user can interact with the virtual directory structure via web
    folders.

    Since the IIS 5 implementation of WebDav seems impossible to separate
    from an actual directory structure, we turned off WebDav and had hoped
    to handle the various WebDav methods ourselves via ASP.Net.

    We've ascertained that the initial contact a web folders-enabled
    application makes with the server is done with the HTTP PROPFIND
    method. We have found it impossible to receive PROPFIND requests with
    the "Translate: f" header in the body. We have tried to rewrite the
    Translate header via a top level ISAPI filter which rewrites the http
    request. No luck: it seems that IIS disallows the request prior to
    even reaching the ISAPI filters.

    So, here's the question: is it possible to handle WebDav requests with
    the Translate: f header without IIS's WebDav enabled.

    Our server is running Windows 2000 SP3 with the following cumulative
    path installed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811114

    Thanks.

    SimpleSimple, Sep 30, 2003