WebException -The decryption operation failed, see inner exception

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by jigs, Dec 17, 2007.

  1. jigs

    jigs Guest

    I'm getting this exception when trying to call external WS that
    requires client side certs. It fails sporadically and not always -
    Please see the below exception. This is urgent and need some immediate
    assistance if possible, thanks.

    The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on
    a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: The decryption operation
    failed, see inner exception. --->
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The certificate chain was issued
    by an authority that is not trusted
    at
    System.Net.Security._SslStream.ProcessReadErrorCode(SecurityStatus
    errorCode, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count,
    AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Byte[] extraBuffer)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.ProcessFrameBody(Int32 readBytes,
    Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest
    asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartFrameBody(Int32 readBytes,
    Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest
    asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartFrameHeader(Byte[] buffer,
    Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartReading(Byte[] buffer, Int32
    offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security._SslStream.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32
    offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.TlsStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32
    size)
    at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32
    size)
    at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean
    userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()

    jigs, Dec 17, 2007

  2. "jigs" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting this exception when trying to call external WS that
    > requires client side certs. It fails sporadically and not always -
    > Please see the below exception. This is urgent and need some immediate
    > assistance if possible, thanks.
    >

    > The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on
    > a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: The decryption operation
    > failed, see inner exception. --->
    > System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The certificate chain was issued
    > by an authority that is not trusted

    Have you considered the possibility that the exception is telling you the
    truth?

    Do you have more than one server hosting this web service? Is it possible
    that some server involved in determining trust is not always available?
    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

    John Saunders [MVP], Dec 17, 2007

  3. jigs

    jigs Guest

    Re: WebException -The decryption operation failed, see innerexception

    On Dec 17, 1:57 pm, "John Saunders [MVP]" <john.saunders at
    trizetto.com> wrote:
    > "jigs" <> wrote in message

    > > The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on
    > > a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: The decryption operation
    > > failed, see inner exception. --->
    > > System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The certificate chain was issued
    > > by an authority that is not trusted

    > Have you considered the possibility that the exception is telling you the
    > truth?
    >
    > Do you have more than one server hosting this web service? Is it possible
    > that some server involved in determining trust is not always available?
    > John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

    Yes. I've checked on all servers hosting this WS. All servers have
    accurate certs installed in appropriate stores.

    FYI - My WS is a client-side WS and tries to initiate a call to
    another WS on the vendor's end.

    jigs, Dec 17, 2007