webpage login

Mike Brearley

I'm looking for something (preferably free) that will allow me to have users
login using a username and password. I'd like to store the password
encrypted (if possible) in an access database and have a web based admin
utility and password reminder (e-mail sent to user) option in case a user
forgot their password.

I've seen packages selling for nearly $30, but for a non-profit organiztion,
every penny saved counts.

--
Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my

Mike Brearley

Andreas.Bretl

I would also suggest to do it on your own.
You can find several free algorythms for encryption/decryption with or
without using keys.

I like the Blowfish-Algorythm very much but thats just my opinion.

Anyway, I would also suggest to store the logIn in a session and detect for
it in critical situations.
If there is no valid session-entry, throw the guys out or transfer to the
login again.

Seize the Day

Andreas Bretl
(e-mail address removed)

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I'm looking for something (preferably free) that will allow me to have
users
login using a username and password. I'd like to store the password
encrypted (if possible) in an access database and have a web based admin
utility and password reminder (e-mail sent to user) option in case a user
forgot their password.

Encrypted and encoded are very different things. I think you meant encoded.
Encryption worth doing is not very easy to simply reverse engineer during a
password reminder. ;-)

In any case, here's a start (though it doesn't use a database; I should
re-write the article to provide a lot more flexibility).

http://www.aspfaq.com/2114

Mike Brearley

I need something to go by though. I can do the login part with no problem,
but how do I create a page that would show all users listed in the database
giving the option to disable/delete/modify the user?

--
Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
lack of caffeine.

Mike Brearley

Mike Brearley

Pretty basic when you know what you're doing, but not for a newbie. I'll
research what you suggested, just wish it could be made easier with a simple
bit of the 'pretty basic' code.

Thanks for the info.

--
Posted 'as is'. If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
lack of caffeine.

Mike Brearley

Roland Hall

in message
:
: I've seen packages selling for nearly $30, but for a non-profit
organiztion,
: every penny saved counts.

Hi Mike...

How much is your time worth? Even at minimum wage, you'd probably spend
more than $30 to write it yourself. BTW, since nobody has covered it yet,
you should review SQL injection attacks.

Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */