WebService Performance...

Mirco Kaffsach

Hi @all,

I've got some problems with my WebService...

The WebService runs more than 30 seconds an the site is frequently visited
( nearly 1200 times a minute )

The problem is, that the server works fine if the requestlimit is about 10
requests, but if it grew up to more than a specific number it slows down
extremly.
Why does this happen. I think the webservice take some requests, let them
work side by side and put the other requests to a queue and let them wait
until one of the other requests finished.

But the number of side by side execution is so low that I can't belive that
I'm programming the right way.
Could anybody give me a hint to make my webservice faster???

If I look to the google.com or the amazon.com or the terraserver.com
Webservices, they are so fast. And they have more than 1200 requests a
minute I think...

Thank you for any answer...

Mirco

Kunal

Are the results you return the same for all requests? I have a Web Service
which shows some numbers that are important to the management types on our
intranet, and I know that these figures change only every 3-4 ours so I used
the "CacheDuration" property..and cache the results so the DB Call is never
made...

[WebMethod(CacheDuration=60)] (C#) {on the server)

you can do it on the client as well
<%@ OutputCache Duration="60" %>
that caches the result on the server for 60 seconds, If all your consumers
get different data, this is probably not useful. Amazon and Terraserver are
also fast because they have large web farms answering those requests..or so
I would think...

Take a look here for tips:(URL may clip)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tml/cpconaspnetwebservicedesignguidelines.asp

Kunal

Mirco Kaffsach

Hey,

thanks alot. The results are different, because its a login WebService.
Nearly the same as MS Passport...
But its a very good hint for other WebServices to me, which have the same
result...

I try to find some other hints on your link...

Thanks anyway...

Bye Mirco