WebService Performance...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Mirco Kaffsach, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Hi @all,

    I've got some problems with my WebService...

    The WebService runs more than 30 seconds an the site is frequently visited
    ( nearly 1200 times a minute )

    The problem is, that the server works fine if the requestlimit is about 10
    requests, but if it grew up to more than a specific number it slows down
    extremly.
    Why does this happen. I think the webservice take some requests, let them
    work side by side and put the other requests to a queue and let them wait
    until one of the other requests finished.

    But the number of side by side execution is so low that I can't belive that
    I'm programming the right way.
    Could anybody give me a hint to make my webservice faster???

    If I look to the google.com or the amazon.com or the terraserver.com
    Webservices, they are so fast. And they have more than 1200 requests a
    minute I think...

    Thank you for any answer...

    Mirco
    Mirco Kaffsach, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Mirco Kaffsach

    Kunal Guest

    Are the results you return the same for all requests? I have a Web Service
    which shows some numbers that are important to the management types on our
    intranet, and I know that these figures change only every 3-4 ours so I used
    the "CacheDuration" property..and cache the results so the DB Call is never
    made...

    [WebMethod(CacheDuration=60)] (C#) {on the server)

    you can do it on the client as well
    <%@ OutputCache Duration="60" %>
    that caches the result on the server for 60 seconds, If all your consumers
    get different data, this is probably not useful. Amazon and Terraserver are
    also fast because they have large web farms answering those requests..or so
    I would think...

    Take a look here for tips:(URL may clip)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tml/cpconaspnetwebservicedesignguidelines.asp

    Kunal

    Kunal, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Hey,

    thanks alot. The results are different, because its a login WebService.
    Nearly the same as MS Passport...
    But its a very good hint for other WebServices to me, which have the same
    result...

    I try to find some other hints on your link...

    Thanks anyway...

    Bye Mirco

    Mirco Kaffsach, Nov 25, 2003