WebService Returns Black Page When Invoking

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by David, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hi Everyone!

    I am working on a project for a directed study class and am having
    problems with webservices.

    I have .NET Framework version 1.1.4322.573 with IIS and Frontpage
    Extensions installed and Visual Studio 2003. These are all a fresh
    install as I removed and re-installed to try and fix the problem to no
    avail.

    What Happens
    ============
    In Visual Studio I can create a new Web Service project, say
    WebService1, and all is created fine on IIS. I then open the default
    file created by Visual Studio (service1.asmx) and uncomment the "Hello
    World" web service.

    [WebMethod]
    public string HelloWorld()
    {
    return "Hello World";
    }

    I can then browse to http://localhost/WebService1/service1.asmx and
    click the link for the web method HelloWorld. I then click the Invoke
    button.
    A new window opens and it is blank, there is nothing there. On 1 other
    machine I have seen this work on campus where XML was returned with the
    "Hello World" text in it, but not here. When I try to view source in
    Internet Explorer the text for "Source" in the view menu is grayed out.

    On 2 machines I have tried to get this to work and I get the same
    result. I really do not know where to go.

    I am writing an Instant Messenger app for C# and Web Services but I am
    at a wall here where I can't move further until I can get the web
    services to respond.

    Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way!

    -David R Underwood
    drunderw AT presby.edu
    David, Jul 27, 2005

  2. David

    David Guest

    Ok so I decided to load it in Mozilla instead of IE and Mozilla
    displayed it but with an error: At the top of the page it reads:

    "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated
    with it. The document tree is shown below."

    Below it is:
    <string>Hello World</string>

    What does this mean?
    David, Jul 27, 2005